Need help with new 5.1 system

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Hardware
So I recently picked up a simple 5.1 system for the computer. I'm having trouble getting 5.1 to work properly when gaming - only 2 channels are being used at the moment. I'm using onboard sound, which is being output via optical SPDIF cable.

System: Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360
Sound: Realtek ALC889A HD Audio (driver R1.85 from realtek's site installed)
Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3R

Games tested:
TF2
HL2
R6 Vegas
COH Opposing Front

Let me know anything else you need. Thanks in advance, guys.

Edit: The center and rear speakers are not playing sound. XP SP2.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    That's because a receiver can't decode EAX, which has the information for your back channels. That system would work on an XBOX, because the XBOX outputs Dolby DTS, which all new receivers could decode and produce the channels for.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Bummer. What are my options, then, to get this to work on the computer? Is there another way of hooking things up?

Edit: for anyone else in this predicament, this thread sheds some light... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12858432

Apparently this is a very common, very newb problem. Yikes.

So, it looks like all I can do is use analog cables?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, analog or get quadraphonic w/ front/back mirrored. Soundcards like the Auzentech Xplosion can remedy this, because it reencodes EAX v.Whatever into a DTS stream.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Don't feel "bad" or anything that you have to use analog cables, I use analog with my 5.1s and I love the sound that comes out, and it sounds no different to me than the sound that comes out the optical via my xbox. It's not like you're losing anything significant to most of us, so don't worry.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    MJ, are you doing an analog to 1/8'' phono minijack dealio with your setup?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    No, but I've used those too. I use Z-5500s with my mobo, and it has three-channel inputs that govern the sub and center, fronts, and rears. I use RCA->1/8th for some headphones I own, and they're solid there. It at least doesn't hurt to try, and you can always upgrade sound cards later if you can't stand the sound quality.