Black screen fullscreen DirectX problem

edited January 2008 in Hardware
I'm at my wits end with this issue. I've contacted the support group for my graphics card, but I was more or less blown off with general "update some drivers".

I have a BFG 7600GT graphics card. I've updated the latest drivers for it. I just updated my BIOS (ASUS A8N-E mobo) to v1013, and updated chipset to 6.65. This is a computer running Windows XP SP2 32 bit, AMD 64 3700+ processor, 2GB of memory. I'm running the latest version of DirectX as well, as far as I know (9.0c 4.09.0000.0904)

Now for the problem. I can run certain games with no apparent issues. WoW, TF2, Warcraft 3 (did have a little glitch, but ran okay) all work fine in fullscreen mode. I just recently installed Diablo II again. In fullscreen mode here, it is just a black screen. I can hear sound, and can even interact with the program (hit escape when I'm at the menu to quit), just can't see anything. If I run it in windowed mode, I can see everything fine.

I would have chalked this up to trying to run such an old game...but, if I run dxdiag and do the Direct3d and DirectDraw tests, both of them show nothing but a black screen with the fullscreen tests. So I'm convinced that there is some issue with my system.

With regards to the warcraft 3 glitch, what happened was whenever I played the game but alt+tab out of it, then went back in, the screen was black. Same deal though, can hear sound and interact with keyboard. I fixed this by setting the game resolution the same as my desktop resolution. Another remnant issue is the screenshot function in the game saves images that are totally black as well.

And in yet another confusing aspect, occasionally when I hit escape in Diablo II to exit, for a split second I can see everything just fine before the game exits.

Anyway, if this isn't enough information please let me know what else I can provide. Quite frustrated with this!

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Okay I have made some progress. I read a thread regarding black screen in DirectX fullscreen mode due to refresh rates. I ran dxdiag and under the More Help tab, selected the Override button. I put in 75 instead of the "auto" value.

Now a few things are different. Most notably (as far as I can tell) Diablo II is playable in full screen mode now. I still cannot see the opening cinematics, but as soon as it hits the menu screen, I can see everything.

I suspect it has something to do with the type of rendering, as I ran both dxdiag tests again. The Direct3D fullscreen test now successfully renders. The DirectDraw fullscreen test, however, does not. It still just shows a black screen.
  • edited January 2008
    Well, apparently my success was short lived. After an extended play period, my game crashed hard...locked up my entire system. After a reboot, it no longer works in fullscreen mode once again in spite of the changed refresh rate. I adjusted the refresh rate a few times, but nothing helps.