restart problem

edited February 2008 in Hardware
have not had any problems with this computer until now, and i'm getting a new one today and planned on giving this one to a friend but dont want to do that while its messing up :(. anyway.

it runs fine until you need to restart it. it will shut down like normal but then wont restart, the monitor goes on standby with the message "no signal". now the computer is not turned off, i can still hear the fans inside, but it wont boot back up either. i end up having to switch the surge master off and turning the computer back on and even then when i press the button it will turn on but will not boot up, usually i have to turn it off and on two or three times before it finally boots up.

any information will be greatly appreciated,
thanks.

oh yea, im running windows xp media center edition.

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Hello casclx,

It sound to be like it could be one of two problems:

1. If the fans are going nuts when you try to restart it, it's most likely a processor problem and the processor may need to be replaced.

2. If it sounds normal, it may be a video card issue. It may be caused by a phenomenon called "ghosting" where the card magically rises out of the expansion slot...or it may be worn.

My advice would be to search your manufacturers site for a BIOS update and see if it fixes it, you may also want to try graphics card drivers.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    It sounds like a PSU issue.
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    It sounds like a PSU issue.

*skulks and cries*

Pardon my inaccruate advice, Thrax is more experienced in the field than I am.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    That's just a guess. But it's an easy one to check.
    edited February 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    That's just a guess. But it's an easy one to check.

well, mine is too..I would hope if i make an inaccruate diagnosis you would correct me, though =)