TV as a secondary ("unsimultaneous") monitor

ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
edited February 2008 in Hardware
I've got a MSI Geforce 8800GTX (overclocked version with HDCP support etc) that has 2 DVI connections and one connection which I think is a S-video. I've got a Samsung 226BW 22" LCD monitor connected to it. In the same room I've also got a ~27" Samsung HD Ready LCD TV. (With 2 taken Scart and one taken Component-plug, at least HDMI is free, should be others too).

Since I don't have a DVD player I was wondering how I could connect the TV to the computer to play video clips, and perhaps gaming too. One option would be to buy a DVI/HDMI cable, or a convertor of the same kind with a HDMI/HDMI cable. However, how do I get the audio out this way (to the TV's speakers)? Or should I just rely on my old speakers, which would be turned the wrong way (Got a Logitech X-540 5.1 system; the back speakers would be in front and the front at the back, and everything would be too far to the side. I could move them though, and switch the cords, but the centre speaker doesn't have an extra cord so that would be a problem).

Also, as the TV's native res. is 1280x720 and my monitor's is 1680x1050. Can Win Vista (HP) set different resolutions for these both, and can it remember those? And how would gaming function with the TV? Mainly thinking about games that I play with a gamepad so I could lie in my bed while playing. (Games such as Pro Evolution Soccer).

My main concern is the sound, I'm pretty sure that the DVI/HDMI cable would work well (even though I need a 10m long cable), but afaik there is no way to get sound out of a DVI connection, but can you somehow recalibrate it?

Or could I use my MoBo's Audio out connection as secondary connections (all of the sound card's audion out's go to my Sub, which then has cords to the speakers). In this case I'd need to be able to turn off or on both sets at the same time, is it easy? (Both for video and audio, though maybe I could keep the video on for the monitor at all times, just turn on the TV's signal when I need it).

Messy post, sorry, but can anyone tell me the best option? I don't want to replace the speakers everytime I want to watch a video of sorts from my TV..

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    You could run a splitter out of your audio jack. Run one side to your PC speakers, one side out to TV/stereo. Then just mute or turn off the side you aren't using.

The nvidia control panel will allow you to set whatever resolutions you want on multiple displays, and yes use the DVI/HDMI cable.

Yes?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2008
    I have a similar set up, but mines is in the living room. I ran a DVI-HDMI cable to the TV along with a stereo audio cable. I connect the audio through my Realtek audio which lets me set each output. I tried using Ultramon to set up the displays but it was useless. The TV-PC input had to be active to even detect, then set up. As soon as I turn the TV to another input the PC lost all the settings and everything had to set up every time. Also I could never get the task bar on the TV, only desktop icons could be used.
    I do have another, spare, brand new 15M DVI-HMDI cable though if you're interested?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited January 2008
    Umm... Sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't HDMI transfer video AND audio? If you're using a DVI/HDMI cable wouldn't you only get video? I mean how do you tell a TV to use two inputs at once?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Umm... Sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't HDMI transfer video AND audio? If you're using a DVI/HDMI cable wouldn't you only get video? I mean how do you tell a TV to use two inputs at once?

eh, good point. The way I suggested works for me because I go into my stereo receiver then out to seperate speakers. However, some televsions have composite audio-in as part of the same "input" as HDMI, which is what Arakorn would need to use if it is available.
  • ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
    edited January 2008
    bothered wrote:
    I have a similar set up, but mines is in the living room. I ran a DVI-HDMI cable to the TV along with a stereo audio cable. I connect the audio through my Realtek audio which lets me set each output. I tried using Ultramon to set up the displays but it was useless. The TV-PC input had to be active to even detect, then set up. As soon as I turn the TV to another input the PC lost all the settings and everything had to set up every time. Also I could never get the task bar on the TV, only desktop icons could be used.
    I do have another, spare, brand new 15M DVI-HMDI cable though if you're interested?

OK. Could anyone tell me a bit more about how to split the audio? Right now I've got 3 channels coming out of my sound card and into the subwoofer, from where I've got wires to all 5 speakers. Would for example the front audio cable be split into two, one going to the TV and the other to the sub?
    So basically I need one (or more) 3,5mm splitters, and a ~10m cable of whatever type that the TV can use simultaneously with the HDMI as video?

2354_01.jpg
    That looks like a 3,5mm audio splitter, found it on my retailer's site, couldn't copy it unfortunately as the site is in Finnish.

I'd be interested in the cable, but do you mean that you want to sell it? In that case I'd do it if it costs me less than 30€, which is a price I found in a local store for a 10m DVI/HDMI cable. So you'd have to ship it here for that price too, and my bank doesn't let me transfer money over the internet with my Visa Electron so all I could do is send money in an envelope, probably not worth it...

I don't care that I can't use the TV as a normal desktop monitor (taskbar not showing up etc.). All I want to do is watch videos and the occasional gaming.

EDIT: So I just checked the back of my TV, and it looks like the HDMI/DVI input (which is actually just a HDMI jack) is paired with a red and a white RCA jack. So I need a 3,5mm splitter, then two 3,5mm/RCA cables? Damn this is getting messy! :P

Or in pics, I need this:

2320_01.jpg
    and two RCA cables?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2008
    Nah, I got the cable for free. Just pay the postage and it's yours. PM me if you want to do it.
    edited February 2008
    Hrm, can anyone confirm what channels I need to split to get out stereo sound? The side-front speakers? Centre channel?

I think everything else is pretty much clear...
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2008
    Ok, if you're running 5.1, you have to split the whole thing to get full stereo.
    edited February 2008
    So how do I split 3 channels (front, back and centre) into 2? Plus, coming out of my soundcard are 3,5mm, while my TV only accepts RCA..
    edited February 2008
    Anyone? To make it clearer, how do I convert my 5.1 audio (comes in 3 channels) to a stereo sound (2 inputs) from my soundcard to my TV? (Soundcard comes out as 3,5mm, TV comes in as RCA).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Change your soundcard to stereo and connect front speaker phono out to RCA in.
    edited February 2008
    Ok. I found a cable that on the other side is a (male) 3,5 and on the other has double (male) RCA. Is this what I want to get, along with the adapter I posted above (to split the front channel)?? (Pictures of both posted above)