Problem with Raid Controller Card

edited January 2008 in Hardware
I have recently upgraded my raid controller in my windows 2003 server. It was a PCI ATA 133 Raid card, but appeared to be an older model for I could not boot into the hardware raid part of it, there were no options to do so. The new card which is also a PCI ATA 133 Raid Card does give me that ability but it too is giving me an error when I try to access disk 1 whether I am writing, reading, formatting, etc. The error I recieve is this:

Event ID 117
The driver for device \Device\Scsi\iteraid1 detected a port timeout due to prolonged inactivity. All associated busses were reset in an effort to clear the condition

What does this errror mean? This is a brand new card, and shouldn't be giving me problems yet it is.

This was actually an error I recieved periodically with the older card. I just thought for some reason the old card would not allow me to do software raid (since I was not able to access the hardware raid part of it). That was my main reason for upgrading was purchasing a card that advertised raid capability. This is a brand new card and is giving me errors that the old one did some of the time. I can access Disk 2 and perform on it whatever I need to do and don't have any problems at all.

I have swapped the disks around, the disk caddy's they reside in, changed the IDE cables, etc, but nothing has gotten rid of this error. The error does not follow the disks it just appears to be apparent on whichever disk the card thinks is DISK 1. Shouldn't this card allow me to do software raid in disk management? For right now I just prefer doing software versus hardware.

Any help would be appreciated. Please respond as soon as possible