4 pin 12v + older motherboard

JAZJAZ UK
edited February 2008 in Hardware
I'm building a PC out of some bits I have laying around.

250w generic budget PSU
Desktop case
Abit NF7-S V2 Motherboard
SLK 900 Cooler/80mm fan
DVD Rom IDE
500GB SATA HD
512mb Ram
Geforce MX440 GPU
AMD 2500+ Barton
One of those wireless keyboards with a laptop style touch pad.

This is just going to be put in the bedroom connected up to a Sony 21" CRT television (no main monitor) & used to store films/tv series in avi format so I can watch an episode or two before sleep, so it will get an average use of an hour or two per day.

My questions really relate to the PSU, it doesn't have the 4 pin 12v connector (due to it's age I assume) so can I get away without using said connector on the motherboard?
Is it worth just getting a molex > 4 pin cable & running that off the spare set of molex connectors?
Is it just a stupid idea & should I just buy a newer budget PSU for the system?
I don't really want to spend any money if I don't need too.

I'm thinking this setup is far from power hungry & might well be ok without the 12v, also I don't need oodles of CPU power for this task so I could even under volt the CPU & run it a bit slower, say around 1400mhz if thats what the yellow/black connector is used for (I really don't know tbh).
I don't have the HD or the Keyboard as I'm yet to order them so I could order a PSU at the same time, but the system boots fine as is with the 250w in with bios settings at default (cpu @ 1100mhz).

Comments

• edited February 2008
    You will need the 12v connector to run your NF7S. But you might get away with just using an adapter cable off a molex connector, depending on the quality of that old psu. But it all depends on the quality of that old psu, whether it's built by a decent company or some fly by night crap that will take out the whole system if it blows.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2008
    If it's got 14A on the 12V rail, it'll work just fine. If it doesn't, you're probably gonna pop it.
  • JAZJAZ UK
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the info, seems I should just get a new budget PSU when I order the other parts, I looked & this one has a paltry 10a on the 12v.
    I do remember running the NF7 without that connector when I first bought it for about 6 months before I even noticed I hadn't plugged it in.