Cable Routing

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hai all, for all you Antec 900 users out there, I haz had an idea and I was hoping if some of you more experienced in the field of cooling could give me an opinion.

I was thinking, usually the CD drive goes at the top, and the harddrive somwhere in the middle (Drive Bay 1&2). I was thinking, if the CD drive and the HDD went to Drive Bay 3, and moved the fan from Drive Bay 3 to Drive Bay 1, this would increase airflow to important components, rather than cooling the PSU which does not give off much heat anyway. This would make it MUCH easier to keep cables tidy and core components cold afaik. Waddyathink?

EDIT: Forgive me for using paint, photoshop is refusing to work ¬_¬

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2008
    In the bottom and out the top usually works best. Most motherboards have the the ATA connectors at the top (if you have a PATA optical drive like myself) of the board. I usually put my optical drive in the 2nd/3nd slot from the top so I can shove cables on top of it.

Good power supplies are around 80% efficient. Say your system components need 200W of power then at 80% your PSU takes in 250W. The extra 50W not delivered to your computer internals is wasted in heat. The air that comes out of my PSUs are usually the warmest as it is at the top of the case as well.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    My PSU doesn't seem to be giving off much heat at all, it's barely warm to touch while running. D'ya reckon it's a bad idea or a good idea?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2008
    My cases usually sit on the floor so I leave my optical drives in the upper bays. As long as the side fan blows on your video card I doubt it will make much difference between either orientation, there is just so much airflow.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    An intake fan isn't designed to cool any one component; it brings in cold air. That's it.
    edited February 2008
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but having cold air over a component is good, no? :P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, but having the fan inhaling over it will block the flow of the fan. Intake fans exist to intake, not to cool a specific part.
    edited February 2008
    I had 3 hours sleep last night, so forgive me if I'm not making sense :S I meant would it aid to keep the general temperature inside, and also with cables in their current positions thanks to drives being at the top, they are right infront of the drive bay, blocking alot of air flow
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    In my limited experience I've found that you can speculate all you want about how moving this fan here or this other thing there all you want, but until you actually run some tests you can't be positive. Seems as though you have put some good thought into this, so why not go to the next step and start the testing to see which is better?