PC Problems

strikerX90strikerX90 Islamabad
edited February 2008 in Hardware
I dont know if its a serious problem or not....but its frustrating me.
1.When ever in the login screen i enter the password & press enter,the computer pauses for a few seconds(5 to 6) & then the computer starts.How can i rectify this problem.
2.Secondly when the computer is logged on( it sometimes happens) sometimes it will work alright....but sometimes it wont work.....everything will not open....the pc does'nt hangup...but the application wont open.....& the pc wont even shutdown,restart,standby...i just have to press the reset button.
3.Sometimes when i am logged in to the internet,it on its own starts sending packets.its very inconvenient for me bcos i have a limited internet connection (just 4GB data).
My PC specs are:
Motherboard:ASUS M2N-e
Processor:AMD ATHLON X2 3800+
Ram:1GB +1GB (Kingston)
Graphic Card:Inno 3D 8500GT

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    How old is your computer and how much stuff you got on it? On the first issue you could try to defrag your computer, and maybe uninstall/remove som unneeded stuff. The long load time is probably due to a lot of programs and processes being runned. I'm not sure about number 2. As far as number 3 goes your computer will always send and recieve a certain amount of packets wheater it's being used or not. If you think the amount is way to high to possibly be normal, you might want to consider searching for malware and viruses, but I guess you should wait for more opininons from more experienced guys here..
  • strikerX90strikerX90 Islamabad
    edited February 2008
    Well my computer is not dat old i buyed it june last year.
    & abt ur reply on the the first issue,i defragmented my pc a lot of time but in vain....& i have a lot of programs installed but these problems started to happen around 3 or 4 days earlier....before dat my pc was fine.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I got your PM, but I think it's better to keep to the forums so that everyone visiting may benefit from troubleshooting and an eventual solution. Seeing you've tried defrag you may try to scan for malicious programs using Spybot and Ad-aware, and a good anti-virus program. I must emphasise that I'm not very experiened, and that otheres here may have other and better solutions!
    edited February 2008
    Well i understand wat r u trying to say.......one thing i forgot to tell u dat i have a kaspersky anti virus but the windows security center does'nt recognises it & says i have no anti virus installed.....same prob with zonealarm pro.
    Secondly, i have tried all softwares out der e.g ad-aware or spy bot etcetera, but they dont find any malware or any other thing dat can harm my computer.
    Is this a good option dat i format my windows drive reinstall windows.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2008
    I hate to say it but whenever I have a problem like this which I cannot find the solution for, I tend to format the whole damn PC!.

You may want to consider this option if it frustrates you that much.

I don't like giving up with things on my PC but if push comes to shove and it's quicker to format and install everything than fixing the problem, that is what I do.

Just my personal opinion, others may dissagree!
    edited February 2008
    Yes well i tend to agree with u too,but i will wait for at least 1 day so dat more people can tell me,how can i solve these problems.:)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    Before doing a format and re-install. There are 2 things I'd try first.

1) repair the cache
    2) repair install

It's very likely that over the course of repeated reboots and lock-ups files have gotten corrupted.
    edited February 2008
    & how can i do these things.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure how to repair the cache but for the repair the install, you put the Windows XP disc in as if you were GOING to reformat but there is a repair Windows option (I believe)
    edited February 2008
    You may need a legit windows cd to do this, so don't do it if you don't have one. From dos issue the following command:

sfc /purgecache

this is what it does:

/Purgecache: Purges the file cache and scans all protected system files immediately. This command may require access to the Windows installation source files.

• edited February 2008
    Disable startup programs will save the packet losses and speed it up alot
    edited February 2008
    Mclovin wrote:
    Disable startup programs will save the packet losses and speed it up alot

That's a rather blanketing statement that is only true about 50% of the time. It's worth doing to try and trouble shoot a problem but most legit start-up programs don't have a significant negative impact.
    edited February 2008
    So wat should i do in ur opinion....bcos i have to defragment once a week to speed up my windows logon time (NOTE:not the user logon...the windows logon)
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited February 2008
    Try doing a clean up and reduce your startup programs to only those that are essential. I recommend CCleaner as a cleanup tool as it is fairly safe and it also has a Tool for controlling your startup programs. You can download it from here http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
    Give this a go, hope it helps. Otherwise maybe do a Hijack This scan and post it in the Spyware section........
    edited February 2008
    strikerX90 wrote:
    So wat should i do in ur opinion....bcos i have to defragment once a week to speed up my windows logon time (NOTE:not the user logon...the windows logon)

If you have to defrag once a week i.e. when you do a defrag check it says 'this drive SHOULD be defraged' - your harddrive is dying or you are running with way to little free space. Under most normal use you shouldn't need to defrag your drive more then once every few months.
    edited February 2008
    Problem solved....(malware & spyware was the real culprit).......thnx to everyone who replied & gave their suggestions..................:D