In the middle of a disk defragmentation the pc shut down and now it does not work!!!!

edited February 2008 in Hardware
PLEASE I NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME ASAP. I WAS DOING A DISK DEFRAGMENTATION AND SUDDENLY THE PC SHUT DOWN. AFTERWARDS WHEN I TRIED TO SWITCH ON AGAIN IT ALWAYS SHOWS THE SAME MESSAGE:

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER. IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW THIS STEPS:

DISABLE OR UNINSTALL ANY ANTI-VIRUS, DISK DEFRAGMENTATION OR BACKUP UTILITIES. CHECK YOUR HARD DRIVE CONFIGURATION, AND CHECK FOR ANY UPDATES DRIVES. RUN CHKDSK/F TO CHECK FOR HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.

HOW CAN I DO THIS IF I CAN NOT EVEN START A SESSION IN WINDOWS Xp.????

BY THE WAY, I AM USING MY OLD LAPTOP TO WRITE THIS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    If you still have the XP operating system disk, insert the disk and reinstall the OS, don't format it- just repair windows. You'll keep your files but your settings will be reset, this should fix this problem.
  • edited February 2008
    Thank You Very Much For Your Reply Harudath,

I Bought The Pc At Circuit City But They Did Not Give Me Any Windows Xp Installation Disk. I Have Tried To Do It With An Old Windows Xp Installation Disk That I Had From A Previous Computer But It Says That It Does Not Find Any Hard Disk. ´

I Do Not Know What To Do, Is There Any Other Way To Solve The Problem??? I Am Going To Phone Right Now To Circuit City To See If I Can Get A Xp Installation Disk. ´

Thanks Again
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, that's not good- Am I right in thinking he'll have to install third party drivers for his HDD and then wipe it?
  • edited February 2008
    Go back to circuit city and demand a windows disc. they are only like 2 bucks. There is no reason why shouldnt of gave that to you.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    filipenses wrote:
    Thank You Very Much For Your Reply Harudath,

I Bought The Pc At Circuit City But They Did Not Give Me Any Windows Xp Installation Disk. I Have Tried To Do It With An Old Windows Xp Installation Disk That I Had From A Previous Computer But It Says That It Does Not Find Any Hard Disk. ´

I Do Not Know What To Do, Is There Any Other Way To Solve The Problem??? I Am Going To Phone Right Now To Circuit City To See If I Can Get A Xp Installation Disk. ´

Thanks Again

If the computer came with a pre-installed windows it has to come with some sort of media. They either have to give you an actual windows XP cd or they have to give you the set of restore cds. The other option is they'll have a small repair partition on your harddrive that is accessible by pressing a button on your computer as it boots up, usually F2 or F11.
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, they should have supplied you with an XP disk but there's now the problem of your HDD not being detected. Can you give us any more details?
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2008
    I would first test the system memory and the hard disk drive.
    As Harudath mentioned, you need to download the software from the hard disk vendors site.

If you bought the computer "assembled" at the shop, they should take care of the problem for you.
    Also on the computer side panel, there should be an Microsoft Windows sticker, with the software key written on it.

If not .... :D

Check if the system can detect the hard disk drive in the bios menu.
    Maybe the hard disk is so "fubar-ed", that you need to make an "Factory reset" of the whole disk.
    In that case you will lose all data on the hard disk.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    Can you get into the bios and see if the bios is detecting the harddrive? I mean physically is your computer seeing that the harddrive is connected. This is at the most basic level. If it's not being seen here then the harddrive vendor's tools aren't going to help.
  • edited February 2008
    A late look at what you posted here filipenses does not show any infection as an issue. It does show you having an Hp Pavilion, which would have come with the HP recovery partition, to use for restoring the system to factory install defaults. Here are the steps if you have not already resolved this.