**** Vista Install. It is not 'easy'

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware
Ok. I'm stuck on the vista install. I'm at the step where you select an install drive.

What I thought would be as easy as point and click is turning into a major pita. I tried selecting the drive, that didn't work. I then found out how to partition the hard drives and then tried to selecting the raptor. It still won't work.

I have one 500GB and one 150GB hard drive. I want to install onto the 150GB raptor. This is really pissing me off. It acts like it doesn't have the driver. But I thought vista had SATA support. I booted off of a SATA dvd driver. I'm a little flustered right now.

I wanted to get this thing running tonight.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    What error message are you getting? Did you format the drive, then click next?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation.

Yes I formatted the drive, and when I don't click next and have the drive highlighted it just says:

This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the BIOS menu
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    vista does have sata support. not ahci support.
  • edited February 2008
    I had the same issue today as a matter of fact. What I did was disable the eide controller in your MB bios and then try installing. If this does not work, then unplug the secondary 500 gig sata hdd and try it. From what I could tell, it looks like it is looking for the hdd on the primary eide controller, not the sata, so I disabled the eide in the bios and also unplugged my secondary 500 gig drive and it worked. ***** Assuming your dvd/cd rom is a sata not ide ****** All my drives are sata.

Hope this helps,

Warped
    edited February 2008
    Disconnected the 500GB hard drive and it's all gravy... I don't know whay that matter but whatever. Vista must still be buggy.
  • edited February 2008
    COOL!! Glad it is working for you, I been avoiding the upgrade to Vista, but finally decided to do it. I ran into that error and a few others but it looks like I got them all taken care of.:bigggrin:

Warped
    edited February 2008
    Yeh, I figured I might as well. It's not going away.

So far it hasn't been too bad. Thought I haven't really tried to do much. Right now I'm waiting for the second hard drive to format and then move all my files from the old computer. That'll probably take a while over ethernet but oh well.