Tablet PC

edited February 2008 in Hardware
I have run into problems with a Toshiba Tecra M4 and am now ready for a full format including HDD. I would like to start over with this tablet as I miss the portable deisgn aspects. Though I have contemplated setting fire to Toshiba both the plant and this computer.:D

The problem is the screen goes crazy upon operating. The problem is less when it is cold and more as the comp heats. I am attempting to do a full format and restore using the standard Toshiba protocol but need actual help.

The Tecra M4 loads up the restore options and upon completion freezes. At this point I am wondering how to do a full format or if it will even help as the video hardware may have poped. Sometimes the screen slowly bleeds to white and then to black with randomized standard (r b g) colors.

Local Comp. Shops have been useless and Toshiba well Toshiba is Toshiba.

I apologize for the post as this will be my first comp forum! For better or for worse. I did do a search and looked at the what to do first steps. If only I would have found this place sooner:(

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Well... that's a tough call. If the display is acting funny, odds are wiping the operating system will do no good. The tablet could be overheating causing the video card to go bonkers. I work on laptops on a weekly basis so I would normally open the thing up and blow out the dust, re-apply thermal compound to the CPU, and maybe the video card also. If you haven't done this type of thing (detailed disassembly of electronics) I would NOT recommend going that route unless its the last resort.

The problem with miniaturization of electronic is how to handle heat, physical abuse, and organization. IBM/Lenovo's, Dell's, and a few others handle this better than most. Toshiba, Sony, and some Panasonic laptops are nice looking with tons of fancy gadgets. All those gadgets come at a price... heat, complexity, and reliability. Before people jump me on this... I hand several hundred laptops a year. Dells and IBM's primarily. I've spent the last 6 years converting everyone away from Sony's and Toshiba's. Why? They failed 100% of the time over 3 years. Yep. And many times they were not repairable.

Do you have recovery software or is the recovery stored on the hard drive?
  • edited February 2008
    I have the recovery software on a dvd from Toshiba.
    I was getting the 'dreaded blue screen' and BIOS errors before I reset the BIOS though. I can't have daytime 9-5 errors on either computer so I went out and bought a new laptop and put the Tecra on the self.

I am trying to avoid opening it up as long as possible. There was a lot of junk on this machine and i figured a format might be nice. With the Tablet being single hinge in the center i am wondering if this has loosened at all.

What you say about the Toshiba/IBM I agree, though I did get the tablet for the gadgets and I had problems immediately, 3 months. Since I am mobile all the time I don't expect more than a year out of a comp. anyways, but that Tablet has been an utter disappointment.