problem updating cdrw firmware

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
i have the liteon LTR-52246S cdrw, and i was trying to update the firmware to the latest version they had, which is the R526S0F, but whenever i run the software, i get a error, and below is a attached screenshot.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    What does it say in the part about "To view technical...click here"?

Prof
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    do you want the full txt file?? i will just attach it
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Try booting into safe mode and run the firmware update from there and see if it works.
    edited June 2003
    That's a heck of a file.:D

This might help:

http://global.benq.com/service/cdr/firmware_detect.htm

It works for every CD drive I've ever tried it on, and works fine in all OS's (though it doesn't mention WinXP, it works with it, too).

It might give you some insight. (Or help someone else).

Could the new firmware file be corrupt?

Also, someone in another thread recently accidentally flashed their DVD burner while trying to flash their regular cdrom. Maybe if you unhook any other optical drives, that would help.

I would try Bad_Karma's suggestion first, as that seems like the best idea.

Prof
    edited June 2003
    ...disabling any antivirus software, or other programs, too.

Prof
    edited June 2003
    woo, got it, works now,

safemode didn't work, so i tried what profdlp suggested, but i was too lazy to unhook the other drives, so i just disabled them in hardware manager, and it worked, so it seems like the software was trying to update my DVD firmware, which didn';t work, and caused the error, thanks
    edited June 2003
    leishi85 said
    woo, got it, works now,

safemode didn't work, so i tried what profdlp suggested, but i was too lazy to unhook the other drives, so i just disabled them in hardware manager, and it worked, so it seems like the software was trying to update my DVD firmware, which didn';t work, and caused the error, thanks

You're luckier than the other poor soul - it actually tried to update his DVD firmware and messed it up. Now he's looking at having the flash memory redone at the factory.

Prof
    edited June 2003
    that's good that this software got errors when it tried to update the dvd's firmware.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    What did you use to update the firmware for the drive? I just bought that exact one myself and updated the firmware with a simple exe file that you just ran, told it what drive to update and thats it.
    edited June 2003
    Gobd said
    What did you use to update the firmware for the drive? I just bought that exact one myself and updated the firmware with a simple exe file that you just ran, told it what drive to update and thats it.

Is that the only device on that IDE channel? leishi85 had to disable his other optical drives first. Do you just have one?
    Just guessing, but that could be the difference.:cool:

Prof
    edited June 2003
    i used the same exe file, but whenever i do it with other optical drives enabled, it will try and update my DVD drive's firmware, instead of the cdrw, so i had to disable the other drives in order for the updater to only see the cdrw present, and it wouldn't error out, and firmware updated successfully.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    My cdrw has to be on secondary master to get the flash procedure to work with other drives connected. Maybe something similar is for your drive. It should be stated clearly in the readme. Does on mine.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited June 2003
    Excellent thread! I've flashed my Liteon drive twice without issue but I don't have other optical drives. I'm sending this thread over to their technical support so they can give better warning for firmware flashing. Liteon is the best CD burner for the money IMHO!

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/english/english-talk/retalk.asp?tno=6350
    edited June 2003
    my setup i think it's like this

pri master - DVD
    pri slave - none

sec master - cdrw
    sec slave - none

and my hdds are on a promise controller.
  • edited June 2003
    I just wanted to kind of steer you guys in the right direction... club.cdfreaks.com

The error is just a bug in Lite-ON's new flasher, it is not caused by having more than one drive, it is caused by something else. I haven't pinpointed what it is exactly myself either. I don't get it anymore for some reason...

You may find this thread interesting: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=69657
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Have you ever updated the firmware of a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, using the correct firmware, and it changes the name of the drive displays in the Hardware Manager and when it detects devices during bootup?
    edited June 2003
    danball1976 said
    Have you ever updated the firmware of a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, using the correct firmware, and it changes the name of the drive displays in the Hardware Manager and when it detects devices during bootup?

Often. It's usually detected as a new drive.

Prof
    (My experience, anyway)
    edited June 2003
    profdlp said
    danball1976 said

Often. It's usually detected as a new drive.

Prof
    (My experience, anyway)

Oh, yes it was detected as a new drive, but it was shown as a Liteon (I forgot model #) drive or something like that, now its JLMS XJ-HD163D
  • edited June 2003
    danball1976 said

I have done it on purpose when I converted my Memorex 2448AJ to a Lite-ON LTR-52246S.

I assume that you're wondering why your LITE-ON LTD-166S changed into a JLMS JX-HD166S, or similar, right? This is because Lite-ON merged with JVC to form JLMS Manufacturing and the latest firmwares contain the JLMS ID.
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, it was a Liteon LTD-166S (it is a 16x DVD-ROM). I also didn't know that either.
    edited June 2003
    dhc014 said

I have done it on purpose when I converted my Memorex 2448AJ to a Lite-ON LTR-52246S.

I assume that you're wondering why your LITE-ON LTD-166S changed into a JLMS JX-HD166S, or similar, right? This is because Lite-ON merged with JVC to form JLMS Manufacturing and the latest firmwares contain the JLMS ID. [/B]

That's interesting. I've been a longtime fan of JVC's Audio and Video equipment, and always considered Lite-On to be good stuff (though the name always made me think of bargain-basement crapola).

It'll be interesting to see what the combination of the two comes up with.

Prof
    edited June 2003
    dhc014 said
    I just wanted to kind of steer you guys in the right direction... club.cdfreaks.com

The error is just a bug in Lite-ON's new flasher, it is not caused by having more than one drive, it is caused by something else. I haven't pinpointed what it is exactly myself either. I don't get it anymore for some reason...

You may find this thread interesting: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=69657

what they were talking about is the liteon drive on extrernal enclosures, like USB2.0 and stuff, doesn't seems to apply here.

and in my case its clearly is caused by multi optical drives, as soon as i disable those extra optical drives, it works like a charm.