Thought Starter - Review Format

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited December 2003 in Community
The last few days I've had reason to revisit many of our recent reviews. As a wishlist item, it would be nice to see some sort of indexing on most, if not all, of our reviews. Whether that entails a single master index within the review itself, or a brief description with each page's link, or ???.

Our reviews are generally quite long and, while I don't mind going through the entire article the first time, coming back to it to look for something specific is somewhat time consuming, it means flipping from page to page to find a specific hint, tweak, benchmark, or what have you.

I have no idea whether there are coding restrictions or maybe this is an intentional design decision to keep people reading page by page....if so, it's not the end of the world. As thread title says, it's just a thought/discussion starter. :cool:

Comments

• ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited December 2003
    I agree, that would be a nice addition.
    And since I am at it, Id love to see the link to the forums added higher in the main page. For me anyways the main page can load slowly at times and I find myself waiting a few seconds for the forum link to appear. Oh how I wish that link was at the top of the page.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    or u could jsut go straight to forums, www.short-media.com/forum
  • ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited December 2003
    ummmmmm
    ya I could but then I wouldnt have a reason to complain.
    Or time to light a smoke
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    heh I have both main and forums in favorites, as I'm sure many others do - I hit the forums about 10X as many times in a day as the front page :)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited December 2003
    i never visit the front page. my bookmark goes straight to forums. same with icrontic, though that place is dying
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    my home page = teh forums
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I tend to be in the forums about 20X per 1X for front page. Sorry, admins. I'd rather see an Articles subarea with a New subarea in it instead of a huge\high front page, but that is just IMHO and not a complaint.... :D Also, an articles searcher reachable from outside the article reading would be real nice, one that lets you, say, give SLK-900A Setup as a keyword pair(ANDed search, not ORed).

John.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2003
    Forums = 99.9% of time (it's my home page).
    Front-Page = 0.01% of the time (only to post news... occasionally).
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited December 2003
    The main page does have an indexing system with descriptions of each of the articles/reviews. They are categorized. That is right smack dab center, almost, at the top of the main page.

We like to drive traffic to the main page to bring up the hits for the ads. Right now the ads make us about $100 USD a month on a good day. That pays for roughly half the bandwidth costs. The rest comes from Shorty, Prime and myself.

There is also a search button that can search the site as well.

Now as far as incorporating the reviews/articles into the forums or and index of the aforementioned...then wouldn't that make the forums more like the main page? Plus then it would become a wee bit crowded in here.

For now...you'll just have to glance at our main page on the way into the forums. :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    .. and remember we are always open for suggestions :)

If you have a suggestion of way to improve getting to the information on the frontpage, then say and Il do my best to put it together :)

The frontpage is a great resource of information, reviews and guides. There is mountains of excellent knowledge in there ;)

Putting dynamic information pulled from the frontpage db into the forums is not good for performance. Something we made a promise we would have when we started. We already do a cross-db call to access the forums db for hot threads. It's not wise to make it all work too hard. Code/performance wise.. it's a doobie!