ICLife.Style - 01 - Shoes

2»

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    It really depends on the shoe as to if it can be re-soled or not. Here's their disclaimer for Recrafting from the website:
    Prior work on Allen Edmonds shoes by other cobblers may prevent us from Recrafting a pair of shoes. Due to special construction methods, our Italian shoes, Allen Edmonds Seven™, driving moccasins, Casual Comfort Collection and some handsewn and woven styles cannot be Recrafted. Obsolete Vibram or rubber soles will be replaced with current soles. To properly preserve their unique materials, suede and nubuck shoes will be cleaned rather than refinished. Please contact the Consumer Assistance Center at 877-495-5564 if you have questions regarding Recrafting.

So, for example, the Thayer could be resoled, but the Peyton most likely couldn't be. A good way to tell is to look at the sole. If it's leather or a combination of leather and rubber, it likely can be resoled easily. If it's a Vibram sole, it shouldn't be a problem either. If it looks like the upper is sewn to a molded rubber bottom without a welt, you're likely looking at something that can't be replaced. The best bet is to call them if you're unsure: 1-800-235-2348. Also if you're shopping, our new Icrontic Marketplace has links for AE shoes!

Oh and congrats on getting your other shoes looking good. It's always cool to see how well they clean up.
  • edited September 2008
    Rocket Dog. My best pic of shooz evar.

But you also have to consider my age to conclude whether or not these are "appropriate" for all occasions. =/
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    i believe everyone should have a pair of these ferragamo boots right here.

BGN09C8_mn.jpg

sorry, couldn't find a bigger pic.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    GQ wrote:
    I think at the LAN we should all go shopping so we can find sweet outfits for you guys.

I'm down. When?
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    We’re not in high school anymore. So, why do we dress like it? Perhaps it’s because society lets us get away with it? Or because we don’t know any better? Maybe a little of both.

Today I'm wearing jeans and a sweater I recently salvaged from my old high school stuff at my parents house.

D'oh.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Today I'm wearing Chuck Taylors, 501s, and a black mock-turtle wanna-be cashmere sweater. It's my Not Steve Jobs outfit.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    There are multiple leathers available, from calf and deer to exotic lizards and birds, but one material stands out when it comes to shoes – cordovan. Sometimes called shell cordovan, it’s leather made from the hind quarters of a horse. One side of the rump makes one shoe. One horse makes a pair. It’s extremely durable and hard-wearing yet also quite soft, and develops a wonderful patina as it ages. The vegetable tanning process takes six months, and only one factory in the US still makes it. Because of the extensive work that goes in to producing it, and because horses aren't raised for the purpose of cordovan production, the material demands a premium. The higher cost, however, is worthwhile as cordovan lasts forever, has an amazing brick color, and can go with everything from jeans to a three-piece suit.

I really didn't think I'd like Cordovan. But because of the dark shade of my brown suit, I couldn't find a pair of brown shoes dark enough to go with it... at Buddy J's advice I picked up a pair of Bostonian cordovan-colored shoes (dyed calf leather). Now I'm sold. They looked fantastic with the dark brown shade of the suit, and since they were the only shoes I brought to the hotel, I wore them with my jeans and linen blazer today and they worked perfectly there too.

THIS MAN KNOWS STYLE.