PS3 F@H update

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited March 2008 in Folding@Home
Recently F@H released a new update for the PS3's version of F@H. This update is not tied to a PS3 firmware update but rather an update that will happen after restarting the F@H console.

I have noticed my PS3 sounds like it is working harder since the update (fans are spinning faster & louder) anyone else see this? The last update only gave better connections in regards to sending and receiving work units.

Comments

• rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited February 2008
    Recently F@H released a new update for the PS3's version of F@H. This update is not tied to a PS3 firmware update but rather an update that will happen after restarting the F@H console.

I have noticed my PS3 sounds like it is working harder since the update (fans are spinning faster & louder) anyone else see this? The last update only gave better connections in regards to sending and receiving work units.

My PS3 fans are spinning louder as well. I'm not sure if they are faster though, but definately louder.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Louder = faster.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2008
    Maybe the CPU is working harder too? Can you see if your WUs are getting done any faster.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    not really...
  • edited February 2008
    Can you fold with the xbox360?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Nope :(
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Nope :(

Isn't there an SDK for the 360? Maybe someone could port the code...

1...2...3...not it!
    edited February 2008
    I've just seen some articles that say the PS3 Cell processor is going to use 45nm architecture. I must have missed the memo- are they shipping them with 65nm now?
    edited February 2008
    Qeldroma wrote:
    I've just seen some articles that say the PS3 Cell processor is going to use 45nm architecture. I must have missed the memo- are they shipping them with 65nm now?

I understand that this may be old news, but here's the answer.

The 65nm version came out 11/2007 and is the 40GB SKU version with the Spiderman 3 movie. My understanding is that it uses only about 135W as opposed to the original 200W.

The 45nm process could save up to 40% on top of that.

65nm power savings

45nm power savings

You see, for me it's going to fold. So the cost of operation is almost more relevant than the sticker price. When you pay for power and about double that for cooling about half the year, this is very significant.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2008
    Since the update I have noticed brief periods of about 10 seconds or so at a time where the PS3 will seem to run its fans at full speed, which makes the thing sound like a jet engine. Those periods are very infrequent however, and usually occur within 5 minutes or so of launching the client.

I wish they would release a client that would also use the PS3 GPU. Im not really sure what production increases this would yield, but if it did yield in even a little more production than it would be worth it IMO.
    edited March 2008
    Just got a PS3 this weekend- wonderful BD player. However, it has the 65nm process CPU- which runs Folding pretty quietly and doesn’t give off as much heat as I was afraid it might. I don't seem to have your issues.

Still, when I set it up and did the updates, the notice on the last update looks like it affects the audio sub-system. When I launch folding, I also get some nice elevator music playing in background. Could be related (?).
    FormFactor wrote:
    .... I wish they would release a client that would also use the PS3 GPU. Im not really sure what production increases this would yield, but if it did yield in even a little more production than it would be worth it IMO.

As far as incorporating the GPU into Folding … not until nVidia gets into Folding. They make the RSX GPU in the PS3. nVidia may support Folding someday, but you likely won’t see it in any GPU they have out so far. F@H is pretty nice in their explanation but the basic reason is: nVidia makes their GPUs to win FPS performance marks and not to do Folding@Home.

Reference

I thought this was interesting as well.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    The audio was added with v1.1

You can disable it in the options. It doesn't affect folding performance at all. 8 cores ftw. :)
    edited March 2008
    The audio was added with v1.1....

I meant this:

Folding@home™ for PLAYSTATION®3 Version 1.3
    This document highlights some of the changes between versions 1.2 and 1.3 of Folding@home™ for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™).

Improvement: Support for Music Playback
    Folding@home™ can now play music from your PS3™ system’s hard disk. The music playback feature automatically categorizes available tracks into 5 separate categories: Energetic, Calm, Dramatic, Upbeat or Electronic. You can browse through categories and tracks by utilizing simple hotkeys or via the Music menu.

The music feature is automatically enabled after updating and can be disabled in the Music menu.

Note: Please see the help screen and the “New Features” section of the About Pages for more information on using the Music Playback feature.

Improvement: Automatic Shutdown
    Folding@home™ can now automatically turn off your PS3™ system. You can configure the system to turn off after a specified amount of time (up to 23 hours and 50 minutes) or after the completion of a current work unit.

Note: Please see the help screen and the “New Features” section of the About Pages for more information on using the Automatic Shutdown feature.

Improvement: Protein Simulation Improvements
    Folding@home™ now has more flexibility for supporting protein simulations. Stanford University can now provide simulations of increased complexity to PS3™ system clients
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    The PS3 has a GPU? I thought the Cell processor in it did everything..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor
    edited March 2008
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/playstation-three.htm

Some say it's apporximately the equivalent of a 7800 series GPU.
    edited March 2008
    Curious-

My fans started laboring when I put the console on its left side for a few hours. It stopped shortly after I put it back on its bottom. At least in the newer models the left vents or the stance of the console appears to be important to airflow.

Anyone else?