SATA RAID PCI Controller not dteected by XP

edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hi - please excuse ignorance, this is my first post and I am not particularly computer literate.

Today I tried installing a PCI SATA RAID card in my ASUS P4B to allow me to install a 500BG SATA HDD to supplement my existing IDE driven PATA HDDS.

I installed the PCI card but its not being detected. I tried installing the driver manually but I am now getting a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error message.

The wee booklet that came with the PCI says I should get a message during boot up to the effect of " Press F4 to enter RAID Utility". I get no such message.

I dug out the BIOS section of the P4B manual and it lists some options under "PCI Configuration" for SYMBIOS SCSI in the BIOS section. I thought my luck had changed and I just needed to tweek the motherboard BIOS. However, when I enter the BIOS to try editing the settings the SYMBIOS SCSI BIOS option listed in the manual is not available on screen!

Am I narking up the wrong tree? Can anybody offer any clues?

cheers in hope

wheels.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    It sounds like the card isn't being detected properly by the motherboard. Do you have more than one PCI slot (I am not familiar with the board in question). Move it to another slot and see if it gets redected.

If that fails, check your BIOS for any mention of a add-on controller. What options do you get listed in your PCI configuration?

Welcome to Icrontic :)
  • edited February 2008
    Hi - please excuse ignorance, this is my first post and I am not particularly computer literate.

Today I tried installing a PCI SATA RAID card in my ASUS P4B to allow me to install a 500BG SATA HDD to supplement my existing IDE driven PATA HDDS.

I installed the PCI card but its not being detected. I tried installing the driver manually but I am now getting a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error message.

The wee booklet that came with the PCI says I should get a message during boot up to the effect of " Press F4 to enter RAID Utility". I get no such message.

I dug out the BIOS section of the P4B manual and it lists some options under "PCI Configuration" for SYMBIOS SCSI in the BIOS section. I thought my luck had changed and I just needed to tweek the motherboard BIOS. However, when I enter the BIOS to try editing the settings the SYMBIOS SCSI BIOS option listed in the manual is not available on screen!

Am I narking up the wrong tree? Can anybody offer any clues?

cheers in hope

wheels.
    Hi Shorty - I got back from a trip with work and followed your advice w.r.t trying A.N.Other PCI holder. I pulled a firewire card to make an alternative home for the SATA controller. hey presto it all works. It even works ok with the firewire in the slot that was previously occuppied by the SATA card.

Many thanks and sorry for the delay saying thanks - it was great to return after a a few days away and try a quick fix and have it work out for me.

cheers wheels