Please help me decide.....

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited March 2008 in Gaming
Ive decided I want to buy a game system because all I have is a ps2, a psp and a wii

The wii is fun but the graphics arnt amazing like a ps3 or a 360

Everyone keeps telling me to get a 360, but Im kinda liking the ps3....
and its not as expensive as it was when it came out....

I ask people why they say the 360 is so much better and they all tell me "because the ps3 don't have any good games yet"

But ive seen a decent amount of good games and lots more coming....

Plus the ps3 is a blue ray dvd player and has a web browser.

But needless to say, I cannot come to a decision because I don't really wanna fork out all that money and not end up happy with the result...

Can anyone help me out, give me some pointers or something besides the same old excuse (360 is better because of the games)?????

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    It's the same old excuse because it's true.

I have both. You know what my PS3 does? It Folds, all day, 24/7. Know what my 360 does? Gets played with my friends.

My PS3 has played Uncharted, which is fun, and just about everything else that's worth a damn is a 360 exclusive or multi-console, which when you factor in achievements, because I'm an achievement whore, and Live, where all my friends are, means the 360 wins easily. Perhaps Home and MGS4 will change that, but for now, it's just not a competition. Don't get me wrong, I like both, and the PS3 is pretty reliable (been folding since I got it and never turned it off), and I've only gotten one RRoD, which is no longer an issue with any current 360. So at this moment in time, I'd call reliability a wash, leaving only Blu-Ray in favor of the PS3 to me.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2008
    I got the PS3 because its a Blue Ray player and it folds. It just also happens to play games...thats how I look at it, not the other way around.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    As much as I hate Sony, if I were to go out today and buy a console, it'd be a PS3. It's one of the most compelling multimedia platforms I've ever seen -- it does everything I could want as an anchor to my home theatre.
    edited February 2008
    I wish it had a better-integrated media-serving option. I'm using TVersity, which is good and all, but it's not as polished as the 360's media-center integration. Maybe that's just me or I'm doing something wrong.

That said, I use TVersity more than I use the 360's MC integration because I started when there was no DivX/XviD integration in either, and TVersity both offered it and was free.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I would probably buy a 360 because no one I know plays PS3 even if they have one.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I wish I could just by both lol
    edited February 2008
    Save yo monies and do it, then.
    edited February 2008
    I would, but I also have plans on building my own computer
    so its either 2 game systems, or one and a custom built computer....
    edited February 2008
    Orrrr save even more! And do it. :D
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    The fact that the PS3 has a web browser seems to be a moot point, given you have a Wii already
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    MJancaitis wrote:
    That said, I use TVersity more than I use the 360's MC integration because I started when there was no DivX/XviD integration in either, and TVersity both offered it and was free.

What is TVersity?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    There is a much, much larger game library on the 360, plus the ability to rent movies, buy tv shows, etc.

The PS3 is fantastic as a DVD/Blu-Ray player, has some good games coming up (I've been having tons of fun with Pixeljunk Monsters), but as a gaming platform, I'd have to say the 360 is the better bet.
    edited February 2008
    TVersity

It's a free media-serving app that can handle distributing to the PS3, 360, and a ton more devices (even an iPhone, I believe). All it does is require compatible decoders on the host computer, and then it transcodes on the fly to device-compatible formats and streams them over the network. I have a beastly computer and both it and the PS3 have gigabit ethernet, so I tell it to transcode to 1280x720 and it seems to handle it quite admirably. I watched most of my Battlestar Galactica that way.
  • edited February 2008
    That's quite a difficult decision, I want to get both.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    or just buy a bunch of Wii games and have a ****load of fun.
    Graphics are pretty, but play is fun.
    edited February 2008
    I honestly just don't enjoy the Wii games. A friend of mine is utterly baffled why I'm not in front of his all the time and in love with it the way he is, but it just doesn't get me that way.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the Wii is okay, but I'm not enamored with it. The games don't appeal to me, if there was ever a contemporary console game that did.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    My plan for a new system in a 360 all the way. All the games I want to play are either on it or coming out for it. Plus I love me some XBL.

If I wanted a full-featured machine in my living room I would just build one and put it there.
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Just build a nice PC and get an emulator and play the console games on it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Not sure how the 360 emulator is doing nowadays :wtf::p
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    The 360 is better for online play and variety, but the PS3 is better for home entertainment. You can play HD DVDs etc, fold, and the split-screen games it has are awesome, as well as good single play. The Wii is fun but I think some game producers are putting it on the Wii just because they can- alot of the controls or Wii features don't suit some games at all. Although alot of my friends think the only thing a PS3 is good for is an expensive riot shield :tongue:
    edited March 2008
    My problem is, I was one of those people that waited at a target at 5am when the Wii came out in order to get one because I thought I would love it...

Wii sports was fun for about 3 weeks then it got old....

I found ONE game that I actually like on the Wii and that is Resident Evil 4,

Most of the games they came out with were games like Mario and Zelda and I personally cannot stand these games, and I should have realized that I was buying a NINTENDO system, and they have always had these kind of games.

Im so undecided between 360 or PS3 but,
    My dad is about to buy a new laptop and if he does im selling his old one and buying either a 360 or a PS3..... so I guess i have to decide soon.