Blocking Macros?

edited February 2008 in Internet & Media
Hi everyone,
CB Droege recommended me to this forum for a computer question I had.

I need to figure out how to block or disable macros on a website, so users can't set a program to make it look like they're clicking around on it much more than they actually are. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Hi! Welcome to Icrontic. :)

Before I referred you here, I interpreted your question differently from what I see here, so I just want to clarify:

You are at the server end of the website, and you want to stop visitors to the website from running Macros that click through the links for them.

Is that right?

If so, I would have just told you right off that I don't think that's possible, as Macros are stored and run on the visitor's machine, and your website has no way of telling the difference between a click from a user and a click from a macro. That's simply not how it works. :(

However, maybe someone else will step in with a suggestion of how this can be worked around. ;)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    CB is pretty much correct. There is no way for you to block a macro from running on the client side. You can prevent some things from running on your end like search bots and what not by manipulating your .httaccess file. But that's only if you are hosting your website on a provider that gives you access to that file and if so actually uses it.

But perhaps if you explain the situation a little more there may be some other tips we can provide to work around this dilemma.