C:\windows\system32\system missing or corrupt

edited February 2008 in Hardware
The boss' computer (laptop) has went down and this message is displayed at start up. [SIZE=-1]C:\windows\system32\system missing or corrupt. Windows wont boot. [/SIZE] I've looked around on the forum and found a few fixes but the problem is we have no recovery disk of any kind and no backup disk (ducks to avoid intense lectures). Is there anything I can do or will he need to take it to the manufacturer or place he bought it.

OS is XP if this helps but beyond that I have no other specs.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2008
    ... but the problem is we have no recovery disk of any kind and no backup disk ...

That does make it difficult and, at this point, no lecture is required.

Taking it back to the manufacturer or reseller works best if it is still under warranty and if there can be found a hardware failure in the device that caused the problem. Pursue this if so. I would advise contacting them and/or visiting their website anyhow and seeing if there is software that they could ship or you can download. They also likely have diagnostic tools and methods that they might be able walk you through even in this situation. If the data on that laptop is critical, many of the manufacturers also provide recommended data recovery services. It will cost you- it's not part of any warranty I know of- but it could be worth it. Also, check to see if your own company doesn't already have a service.

If you're stuck with doing this on your own, could we have the make and model? A few of us are familiar with some manufacturers. You will likely have to rustle up and/or purchase a few things if you need to attempt a data recovery on the HD on your own.