Dead machine so far..

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited December 2003 in Hardware
I recently ripped apart an alienware system and put in a new motherboard (NF7-S), new processor (Barton 2500+), and a new stick of Corsair XMS 2700. After 5 tedious hours of undoing Alienware's atrocious cable "management", I finally started pulling things out.

After everything was out, I attempted to put the processor in the motherboard and install the HSF. Some Arctic silver 6 went a little crazy and may have shorted a few things, but some of it got on the processor around the core. As far as I can tell, there's a solid CPU/HSF connection.

So I rerig everything back up, throwing my 9700 Pro in and tried to start up. Well, nothing happens, except spinning fans. Not a peep from the BIOS, no image on the monitor whatsoever.. the only noticeable change is the fact that my HDD and CDRom ARE running, and there's a little green light near the power indicator (you know, the thing that tells you when there's power running through the motherboard).

So I'm stumped. I tried throwing an AIW 9200 or something in there and see if it would produce a picture.. nothing..

Tried resetting the bios and putting the 9700 Pro back in... no picture.. tried the same with the 9200, and still no picture.

I want to think that the RAM may be the cause, but I've never heard of RAM causing a system not to POST..

Comments

• edited December 2003
    Make sure that when you cleaned the AS5 off the CPU that none got down in the pits left by cutting the traces.
    I had that happen once with a 2500+ and I had to use high pressure solvent to blast it out (AS3 though) and then clean the solvent's oils off with head cleaner (for tape decks, I prefer it over alcohol as it doesn't leave a trace behind) and reapply the AS3 and heatsink unit.
    It ran like a top after that though.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    This isn't fun, but undo ALL electrical connections and re-do them. I've had it solve problems/lead to the discovery of a mistake on more than one occasion.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    It's either the cpu or the mainboard i'm afraid.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited December 2003
    You could try and remove the MOB and stuff, put it on a cardboard box, or sometihng non-conductive and try runing it out side the case, not installed...

"g"
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    Woo. Ok, so I finally got it to boot. Luckily, it was neither a bad processor (a miracle, considering how many times I redid the AS5, and pulled it off, not to mention the AS5 around the core.. :banghead: ).

It turns out, contrary to my first post, that it was the memory. The stick of Corsair I have is bad, so far. Im gonna test it in my 3.2ghz P4 machine and see if it'll boot. If not, time to bitch at someone..

Now, another problem.. while posting this, I went in my room to find my motherboard making an alarm sound. I think the processor is overheating :( Wouldn't surprise me.. bleh.

AT LEAST IT BOOTED! :respect: