Folding on Athlon X2

Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
edited March 2008 in Folding@Home
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the multi core beta client on a dual core X2. I'm looking at building my new system with the X2 and thought it would be cool if it worked well, but Stanford recommends quad cores.

Anyone have any problems with it? Does it work any faster?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Works just fine. My mom has an X2 6000+ and it gets 20 minutes a frame on SMP. No reason not to run it.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    Nickboxer7 wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried the multi core beta client on a dual core X2. I'm looking at building my new system with the X2 and thought it would be cool if it worked well, but Stanford recommends quad cores.

Anyone have any problems with it? Does it work any faster?

I'm also folding on a machine equivalent to a Athlon64 4800 X2. It's been folding SMPs (the term used for the Symmetric Multi-Processor client) for about a year now. It completes them in about 40 hours- well within the 72 generally required by Stanford.

Quad cores will compute SMPs faster- and hence the Stanford recommendation. Quads are not a requirement, but you do need more than one processor core.

What model of X2 do you have?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I have an old X2 folding. It is a 2.2GHz and it sits next to my 2.2GHz C2D. The Intel runs about 21 min/frame and the AMD about 29 min/frame.
    They have both been running SMP for over a year.
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    Qeldroma wrote:
    I'm also folding on a machine equivalent to a Athlon64 4800 X2. It's been folding SMPs (the term used for the Symmetric Multi-Processor client) for about a year now. It completes them in about 40 hours- well within the 72 generally required by Stanford.

Quad cores will compute SMPs faster- and hence the Stanford recommendation. Quads are not a requirement, but you do need more than one processor core.
    What model of X2 do you have?

I'm gonna be getting the low end 4000+ and overclock it because I am on a budget. Right now I fold when I get the chance on my Core solo laptop that runs at 1.8 or so. Will there be a noticeable difference between that and running SMP on the X2?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Yes, lots more points.