Reformatting for Toshiba laptop troubles help me!!!

edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum as you can probably tell by the 1 next to my posts.

My toshiba laptop was acting up so i backed up what i needed and tried to reformat it using the toshiba disk it came with.

It seemed like it was all going well until it came to a black screen saying" Microsoft Windows XP with the logo" ... and underneath of it a line saying "Please wait..." After about 5 seconds everything freezes including my mouse cursor still with the hourglass. No noises or movement from inside the machine at all.

I believe i have a toshiba satellite A10.

Please help me.
-Bob

Comments

• edited March 2008
    This Just In! I have a version of Windows98 that i tried installing as well. It got further along but will only run in safemode. It said something about being unable to install all hardware. There was also a message during the installation process that said something to the effect of:
    Installing hardware...
    This make a take a few minutes... if your computer freezes please reboot it and try again.

so i'm thinking its a hardware issue because I do not get that screen in XP just the logo like i had mentioned before
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    odenr47 wrote:
    My toshiba laptop was acting up...

Let's start there, please explain...
  • edited March 2008
    it was running slowly, and just opening 2 programs at once was eating up all my resources and it would constantly run at 95-100% anytime something was loading or trying to load. I would also get a blue screen of death occassionally
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Your format should have removed any software issues unless you only did some sort of repair install.

I'd start with the basic hardware tests:

Hard drive: http://icrontic.com/articles/hard_drive_diagnostics

Memory: http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Have there been any recent upgrades or hardware replacements?
  • edited March 2008
    no i haven't done any upgrades besides the Windows update that automatically runs.
    no i haven't done any hardware replacements either... a very computer-literate friend of mine said it is probably memory, so i will look into the memtest86+ one

Thanks
    -Bob
  • edited March 2008
    i used memtest86+ .... good news... i passed.... bad news... i passed...

so now i'm thinking its a hard drive and hopefully not the motherboard