Console for Kids

RavenRaven Cheshire, UK
edited December 2003 in Gaming
Pretty simple really.

I am looking for a console for my kids for Christmas, ages 4 and 6, I rarely touch consoles so would be interested in your suggestions and the reasons behind them (this is for them not me).

ATM X-Box is looking favorite but this is just based on personal perception, no real hard facts (also in running are Gamecube and PS2).

Interested in stuff like;

Ease of use for kids, chipping/price/availability of games, number of child orientated games etc.

Comments

• McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited December 2003
    Well...gamecube has the most kiddie type games....but I have a chipped xbox.....its a blast too....cause of all the emulators and stuff.

Gamecube is also the cheapest....but not if you chip an xbox.....total cost if you chip one is alot more....but long run......its worth it.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2003
    game cube. mario series for them and soul calibur for j00, also super monkey ball is fun no matter your age, zelda, simpsions racing mario cart
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I'd definately say the Gamecube is the most family friendly of the bunch (and best overall imho ;)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I'd say gamecube too.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    PlayStation 2 has the best RPG's (role-playing games, like books except you take on the role of the main character) and supports all the Playstation 1 games, many of which are "family-friendly". Spyro is always a classic, though i think 6 might be a little too young for Kingdom Hearts (the Disney RPG). You can get board games for the Playstation too, something I've yet to see on Gamecube. PS2 can play DVD's, and it has parental content control features for R-rated DVD's and the like.

My only complaint is that the multiplayer support is limited to 2-player except on a few games, and those require extra hardware most people don't have and/or another PS2.

SNES and NES will always have the most family-friendly games because Nintendo censored content for both of those systems (ever wonder why the language is so foul in Final Fantasy 7 compared to Final Fantasy 6?).

-drasnor :fold:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I had a gamecube and i have an xbox. Game cube for kids Xbox for adults ps2 for the trash
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I own all three consoles and would suggest either the Gamecube or the PS2 for the younger crowd. Moreso, the Gamecube. As said before, the Mario series, Super Monkey Ball, and quite a few others are great for your kids and yourself! Soul Calibur r0x0rs for you as well. :)
  • edited December 2003
    yeah man, buy a gamecube. you can get all the kiddie games: any mario game, zelda, etc for them and get games like Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, and Soul Calibur 2 for you! Aw man just thinking about this reminds me Resident Evil 4 is being coded as we speak.
    edited December 2003
    Oh, man. Resident Evil looks amazing on the Gamecube. Reminds me, I need to beat that. It'll have to wait till finals are over. *Sigh*
  • edited December 2003
    Oh man, you haven't beaten that yet? omg the game is so incredibly hard near the end. Especially with those psycho zombies. Since when can they get up and run at you? i mean a zombie that can punch you is not fair. I haven't gotten RE Zero yet so I dont know how good that one is.
    edited December 2003
    The zombies that are fast hell and scare the bajeezus outta ya?! I hate those things! Playing at 2am with my surround sound. Yikes! Haha...
    edited December 2003
    You'll give the kids nightmares!

• edited December 2003
    Nah, when i was younger my father played Doom. I'd walk in and see the monster, and then have nightmares for weeks. LOL being 6 years old and seeing demons in a game was hard. but yeah we are reccommending Resident Evil for him, not the kids.
    edited December 2003
    But if your kids aren't being very good, instead of taking the console away, you can force them to watch you play Resident Evil. Mwahahaaa!

/me thinks he should never have kids of his own...
  • XenogearedXenogeared
    thinks trekky shouldn't have kids either
    edited December 2003
    thinks trekky shouldn't have kids either
    edited December 2003
    My kids' first console is going to be my old SNES. Warm up on Super Mario World, followed by Super Mario RPG. FF4 and FF6 later. Playstation with FF7-FF9 at around 12-14, maybe Xenogears or Xenosaga(all episodes) at 14 depending on how mature they are, plus whatever else looks good at the time.

edited December 2003
    Get and xbox for yourself and buy Ninja gaiden when it comes out
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited December 2003
    assuming they're both boys, i'd definitely have to recommend the game cube. having said that, there is, as drasnor suggested, some very good ps1 games that can be run on the ps2. i know theres some barbie crap, and other junk like that... you'd probably just have to go somewhere like gamefellas and ask
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Gamecube! Gamecube! Especially with the Zelda games it comes with now... best price, best system for kids hands down.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Children shouldn't play video games.
    edited December 2003
    And Wind Waker was another good game that both adults and the childrens may enjoy. Of course, they are a bit young to figure things out, but they might like just playing around.
    edited December 2003
    CBDroege had this to say
    Children shouldn't play video games.

;D - Because then they grow up to become us! :wave:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Or you can let your kids play Doom at 7 like my father did!

I turned out alright. (Shut up; all of you ;D )
    edited December 2003
    heck i was playing doom at 7 or 8 and i am fine besides the fetishes for killing all who opose me in UT
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I was playing Doom young as well. And I turned out alright, didn't I? ;)

/me hopes no one looks at post on previous page...
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited December 2003
    it somehow frightens me that people can say, "My dad let me play doom when I was 7!"

I played doom... and man, I can't imagine being 7 and playing it.

Not to mention Alone in the Dark. I couldn't even play that thing after a while. O_O all those creepy noises.

Now. back on topic.

Game cube! If you're not a huge gamer, this console's your best bet for you and the kiddies. Not to mention, Mario Kart!

If your kid's hands are small you may want to get them a Microcon controller from Madcatz. easier for them to use.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Scary games were never, er, scary for me. Nor were scary movies.
    edited December 2003
    JLunar had this to say
    it somehow frightens me that people can say, "My dad let me play doom when I was 7!"

I played doom... and man, I can't imagine being 7 and playing it.

Not to mention Alone in the Dark. I couldn't even play that thing after a while. O_O all those creepy noises.

Now. back on topic.

Game cube! If you're not a huge gamer, this console's your best bet for you and the kiddies. Not to mention, Mario Kart!

If your kid's hands are small you may want to get them a Microcon controller from Madcatz. easier for them to use.

I am 6ft 5 and i ended up with the smaller madcat version of the xbox controller. Its justthe fact taht the gc and xbox contollers are big even for people with Big hands
    edited December 2003
    I think it's just what the user gets used to - I can't stand the smaller controllers, but I love the full size XBox and GC controllers. I absolutely HATE the PS controllers! I never played the PS1, so I never got used to a smaller controller. I did play N64 and Dreamcast, so I got used to that size/shape, and GC and XBox are closer to that I guess...

I think you just wanted to call the lady's attention to your "big hands" :crazy:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Raven:

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old, and they play the gamecube constantly. They love it, as the controller fits nicely, and there are plenty of bright, colorful and easier games for kids. Although the 5 year old can tear it up in Mario Sunshine and Super Monkey Ball ....... ;)

Gamecube definitely.....