computer acting weird..help!

MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hey all. I came home from work today and my comp was on but no display. Would not re-boot with reset button like it used to do. I powered off the ps by the switch on the back, turned it back on and the comp came on automatically without me pressing the start button. I have no display, the monitor stays black, says it is good. All the fans are on, the hd and the power lights on the front are both lit all the time but all I can get it to do is to open the cd drive by pressing the button. I have cleared the bios by removing the battery and unplugging it but I cant tell any diff with no screen.
The mobo is an old Abit KT 7 that I have had for years. I turned it into an mp3 box out in the garage and it has been working fine for weeks. What do you guys/gals think?
What is going on?
Thanks, Dan

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Have you recently changed any hardware or installed any new programs? Or had any previous trouble with your PC lately?
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited March 2008
    No. It has been working fine for weeks. The power may have been interrupted a few times yesterday due to ice storms though. What do you think happened?
    edited March 2008
    Sounds like your Video card is dead- When you turn the PC on, do the capslock/numlock/scroll lock lights work?
    edited March 2008
    Didn't notice. I'll go check and get back. But why would the computer not respond to the front controls now? The cd rom busy light stays on too.
    Ok, when I turn the rear power switch to the ps on the comp comes to life all by itself with no front panel buttons being pressed, the keyboard num, scroll and caps lights all blink one time and then stay out no matter what is pressed. I also switched monitors, no help. Does that help?
    edited March 2008
    I've got an old voodoo 3 2000 I think still works. I guess I'll pop that bad boy in and hopefully I can see from there what the heck is wrong. It seems like the ps or the mobo is damaged to me since it is not responding to the front-mounted controls. I swapped out hd's and I didn't see a change in symptoms either.
    edited March 2008
    Alrighty then. I swapped out the video card, hd, monitor, and no change. I think either the ps or the mobo or both are damaged. I'm just out one garage-box mp3 player for now. Crap! My pron is on it too! ;)
    Thanks for the help. Dan
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    I'd go with the board. If it was the chip the machine would start, then die just as abrubtly. You might have a trace short somewhere.
    edited March 2008
    Thanks. That's my opinion as well. The ps is still suspect till I do the swap tho IMO.
    Dan
    edited March 2008
    No change with different mobo and videocard. Unless other card bad also.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Hey MGK!!!! :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    From your description it does sound like the mobo is having trouble regulating power.

Have you tried a bench test to see if it's the case?
    edited March 2008
    Hey Prime! Been a while!
    CB, If I were that smart I'd be making more money that I am! ;)
    edited March 2008
    ...Is the monitor working?
    edited March 2008
    The monitor says it is working but to check the videocard or the cable.
    edited March 2008
    I put in another mobo but the onboard video must be bad, same results. Crummy pentium board only has pci slots! ARGGG!
    edited March 2008
    I put in another mobo but the onboard video must be bad, same results. Crummy pentium board only has pci slots! ARGGG!
    edited March 2008
    I found three bulging caps right beloe the agp slot on my original mobo. Probably the problem, not?
    Anyway, I got the comp. fires back up with a donated pentium 3 500mhz board and the same videocard as before. The computer starts up with the ps switch still so I think that the ps is bad/faulty as well. But it is playing my mp3's right now! Thanks for the help guys!
    MGK
    edited March 2008
    I think that I should invest in a new PS before it has a complete meltdown.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    That motherboard is going to go tits up any time now, if it has bad caps.
    edited March 2008
    Hey Thrax!

The mobo is in the trash can after finding the bad caps. Goodbye KT7 raid board, I knew you well.
    edited March 2008
    Stinkin pentium 3 is SLOOOWWWW. If I do anything while playing a song it stutters like bitch!
    edited March 2008
    Try overclocking it, hah xD