Dedicated OS drive help performance?

edited March 2008 in Hardware
This is mostly regarding games. I was wondering how much of a performance boost you would see from having your OS on one hard drive by itself and all of your apps on another. In other words how often does the OS need to access the drive at about the same time the app does? Thanks.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Well one benefit is that your pagefile will be seperate from the game files so that will help. As for the rest, there probably is a benefit but most modern software installs core programs into 'the program folder' for the app but it also scatters things various other places over the hard drive.

So bottom line it would technically be faster, whether or not you'll actually notice it, hard to say.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Apps files usually end up on your OS drive anyway, you probably want them there.

A common theme is to put your OS/apps on one (fast, like 10k or 15k) drive and put all your media and personal files and junk on other drives. This has the added benefit of giving a speed boost to your most intensive stuff, the OS and programs, and also isolates your media and files, which don't require real HDD speed anyway, away from the OS and whatnot. Means if your OS corrupts or that HDD fails, you don't lose your files and media, you just have to reinstall your OS of choice.

In other words, I don't think that A) you can separate applications themselves from the OS drive and B) that you'd want to anyhow.

Of course, I'm still a noob, so I could entirely be wrong.
    edited March 2008
    MJancaitis wrote:
    In other words, I don't think that A) you can separate applications themselves from the OS drive and B) that you'd want to anyhow.

Of course, I'm still a noob, so I could entirely be wrong.

Nope you can do it. It's no a true separation in that if your os hoses you just take your program drive and everything is up and running. But you can use 2 drives and install programs on 1 and your OS on the other. Some programs will still put some information and links to the OS drive but the bulk will be on the programs drive. There is little to no benefit to doing it that way because of how closely the two are tied together. However there is a potential speed gain from doing it.

Where you gain almost no benefit of doing a dual partition on 1 drive and separating out the OS from the Programs.

Now - what you don't want to try doing, is just drag your Programs Folder from your C Drive to your D drive. It would be for any future software you install, create a Programs Folder on a D: drive and install all future programs there.
  • edited March 2008
    Would the pagefile be better on the main 10k drive with a 16mb cache that the OS is on or on an older separate 7200 drive with a 2 mb cache by itself?
    edited March 2008
    I'd say leave it on your main drive and if that is your second drive that you were thinking of installing software on. Install it all onto your 10k main drive and just use that 7200 drive for data storage.