What's a decent OC board?

Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
edited March 2008 in Hardware
I'm looking for an AM2 board that can overclock from the BIOS for under a hundred. I'm going to get teh 4000+ X2

I was looking at the Biostar TA770 A2+, but I don't think it allows you to OC in the Bios, just their software. I wanted to get the MSI NEO2 but they quit selling within the last week :(

Link me to Newegg.com if you can or someplace with similar prices because I like to order from Newegg.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    mmonnin wrote:

I would have said that before, until my buddy had two and I got one with an old comp and it works great. His worked great with his opty too and had it OC'ed to 3Ghz

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3051&p=2

This board sounds like something I would want here. They have it on newegg too.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2008
    I have the Biostar TA770+ that you mentioned above. It is an excellent budget overclocking board. I paid $70CDN for it. And yes, you can overclock from the BIOS. The shipping BIOS was a bit buggy on the early boards--make sure you flash to the newest one on their site. Fixed numerous bugs for me. I was able to get the HTT to 350MHz--should be more than you'll ever need with that 4000+. I'm actually working on a full review of the TA770+ for Icrontic right now, stay tuned.

The TF560 you mentioned is not a 'true' AM2+ board--keep that in mind. If you want something more future proof, stick with the 770+. The chipset runs cooler and consumes much less energy as well.

Also, Biostar has come a long way over the last little while. They are budget boards, but their quality is actually pretty good. Solid caps on the VRM, and an overclocking BIOS that rivals what I've seen from DFI.
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    I'm not really planning on going to phenom anytime soon, so the AM2+ isn't too big of a deal for me, especially since it is just a board and I can always swap that out for a decent price. Either one looks good to me. They are the same price without rebates so the 770 might be the better deal.