Burn AVI to DVD

edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
I was wondering if anyone knew of any software that could burn AVI to dvds that will play on a standard player? Thanks much.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    A dvd player that plays AVI files is much easier to deal with. Plus you can fit 6 movies on a DVD5 disk then.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    mmonnin wrote:
    A dvd player that plays AVI files

which ones do that? Linkage plz:cool2:

chris, there are some sites that show you how to convert AVI to a DVD format but it takes a lot of different programs and you end up with not DVD quality video.
    edited March 2008
    **** I'm sure plenty do. My RCA DVD/DVD recorder does. Don't know the model number, was a gift.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Because DiVX/XViD is not DVD quality. DVD -> AVI -> DVD is a huge kick in the balls to image quality, unfortunately, unless you want to encode at about 2-4 frames per second with a high-quality upscaling script. You'd also need to know how to frameserve, how to write AVISynth scripts, etcetera.

It's not simple, or for the faint of heart.

Also: Players with divx/xvid support here. Pre-sorted by quality.
    edited March 2008
    Not sure if this is the exact model but it looks like it and it mentions DivX playback. I know mine plays Xvid as well, pictures etc.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/RCA-DVD-Recorder-with-HDMI-Input/2444098/product.html
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    When I looked up how to do it, about 6 months ago, it was like a 12-step process with a good half a page for each step on some sites. getting a compatible player is A LOT easier.

Thanks for the link.
    edited March 2008
    Yep, plus with a good Xvid video on a normal non-HD TV its pretty much unnoticable except for dark scenes.
  • dstyle347dstyle347 Boston
    edited April 2008
    Is there anyone that knows of a free converter or is everyone just whining about what a bad idea it is? I have AVI's and no money. My 4 year old wants to watch an AVI in his room on his cheapo player and I am wondering how to get into a playable format to throw on a dvd for him.

Again the point being "Free = No complaints about quality.."
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited April 2008
    I use AVI2DVD - It's completely free and creates an ISO image that you can burn, probably using something equally as free such as ImgBurn. I have used this method a few times and it works pretty well, allowing you to change quality dependent on how much processor power you have or time you have spare to wait for it to encode. :smiles: Hope this helps !

EDIT: Give us a shout back and tell us how it pans out :D