CPU Fan spins then stop - no post

edited March 2008 in Hardware
Ok first my situation:

Wifes PC started misbehaving, and since I had a Asrock 939-dual sata2 board lying around I thought I would do a mild upgrade for my system and give her my old MB & processor. ( ABit AV8 & athlon 3800 ). So I bought an Opteron 165.

Swapped out components -- basically the only thing different in my system is the board, CPU, and video card. I turn on the machine the case & CPU fan spin for a second or less then stop with no beeps.

I have tried this with minimum setup -- board w/CPU & cpu fan - 4 sticks of memory only with same results. (Did not try pulling the board from the case yet.)

Board probably has original bios which means it will have to be flashed to add the CPU code for the opteron -- would that explain this behavior?

I did pull the CMOS battery out, but may not have left it out long enough. Also could a dead CMOS battery cause this kind of an issue?

I really don't want to put the working CPU into this board in case there is a problem with the board that may damage the CPU. I guess I will toss the new cpu into the old board to make sure that is working.

Any one else have a similar problem or any suggestions on other things to try?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    Bad chip.
  • edited March 2008
    Well this will teach me to try and put a system together at 2am. Board takes only twenty pin connector, so I was attempting to stick the extra 4 pin connector into the 4 pin slot. Board & chip survived and came up without a flaw once I attached the correct connector.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    Ok. Never saw that happen. Data updated. Thank for your input.