STOP Error then BIOS Checksum Error

edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hey there, I have an eVGA 680i SLI (A1) motherboard, and this problem comes and goes and it just happened. I was in the middle of reinstalling Gears of War while watching a video when all of a sudden everything froze, even the sound played the same sound until a STOP error screen showed up (which I didn't have time to read) and then it booted and I get a "BIOS Checksum Error", I rebooted and I got a C1 post code. I powered off everything, even the PSU for about 20 minutes, turned it back on it and it booted fine. Does anyone know why it just freezes and goes to a STOP error? and also how to stop the BIOS Checksum error from coming up? Specs: Intel C2D E6750 @ Stock 2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 2x eVGA 8800GT SC

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    What is the stop error? You might be running out of power.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    xShrimp wrote:
    Hey there, I have an eVGA 680i SLI (A1) motherboard, and this problem comes and goes and it just happened. I was in the middle of reinstalling Gears of War while watching a video when all of a sudden everything froze, even the sound played the same sound until a STOP error screen showed up (which I didn't have time to read) and then it booted and I get a "BIOS Checksum Error", I rebooted and I got a C1 post code. I powered off everything, even the PSU for about 20 minutes, turned it back on it and it booted fine. Does anyone know why it just freezes and goes to a STOP error? and also how to stop the BIOS Checksum error from coming up? Specs: Intel C2D E6750 @ Stock 2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 2x eVGA 8800GT SC

I'm not sure what you are saying here: Does it boot fine now or not? Are you asking out of curiosity or because a problem persists?

A BIOS checksum error means that your BIOS image is corrupted. A number of things may be the cause and a number of things can fix it.

If you are booting to a STOP error, please DO write it down and tell us what it says.

If it is booting OK now, the system has corrected itself- smile and be happy. :)
  • edited March 2008
    The problem is persisting. I don't boot to the STOP error, it happens while I'm in windows, and it goes away too fast and I can't even read it.
    edited March 2008
    Go to your control panel, and then system and startup and recovery. Disable the automatic reboot apon system failure. That's the fastest way to do it, but you could sort through the Event logs/system and pick the errors out and post them.
    edited March 2008
    Also- are you still getting the BIOS checksum error and simply ignoring it right now?
  • edited March 2008
    I get a BIOS Checksum error only after the STOP error.
    edited March 2008
    Okay- if you understood YAD's directions and can get into windows for a few moments to set it up, you should be halting at a Blue Screen message that displays the STOP error message and code. I'll repeat it here (for XP) if you got lost:

1. Open the Control Panel.
    2. Open System.
    3. Under the Advanced tab click Settings in the Startup and Recovery segment.
    4. Uncheck the Automatically restart checkbox in the System failure section.

For convenience be sure that Small memory dump (64KB) is selected in the drop-down menu in the Writing debugging information area.

Hope that helps. If you can't set it up, try it in safe mode. Let us know if you can or can't, etc. ....
  • edited March 2008
    It's all set up, I guess all I have to do now is wait for the error to pop up, whenever it may be.
  • edited March 2008
    Well what a luck! It happened this morning. STOP code has been written down.
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  
    STOP: 0x0000000A (0xC7800010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8051A777)

edited March 2008
    Ok, have you added any new hardware?
  • edited March 2008
    Only a floppy drive.
    Heres my hardware list.

Motherboard<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->[: eVGA nForce 680i SLI (A1)
    <!--coloro:#000099--><!--/coloro--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->CPU[: Intel C2D E6750

<!--coloro:#000099--><!--/coloro-->RAM<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->[: 2GB DDR2 Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500
    <!--/colorc--> <!--colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#000099--><!--/coloro--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->GPU[: 2x eVGA 8800GT Superclocked in SLI
    <!--coloro:#000099--><!--/coloro-->Sound<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->[: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio
    <!--coloro:#000099--><!--/coloro-->HDD's<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->[: 2x 74GB WD Raptors in RAID0 ; 1x 500GB Seagate 7200.11 in JBOD
    <!--coloro:#000099--><!--/coloro-->PSU<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->[: Ultra X3 1000W
    <!--coloro:#000099--><!--/coloro-->Optical<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->[: Samsung S203B DVD-Writer
    <!--/colorc-->
    edited March 2008
    Did the problem exist before the floppy drive?
  • edited March 2008
    oh i forgot to mention that, sorry.
    yes the problem was occuring way before i installed my floppy drive.
    edited March 2008
    Did this problem exist from the start of the build?
    edited March 2008
    YAD is on the right track.

The error you are seeing is generally from a bad hardware and/or hardware driver install.

My suggestion would be to start with your video card since this is usually the device with the largest and most involved driver(s). Did perhaps your problem start shortly after a video driver update?

Still, follow the reasoning: is there any such event you might have done just prior to your problem? Maybe a BIOS update?

Another possibilty going through my head: I generally see a BIOS checksum error when the system battery is going bad. You might try that- just remember your settings before replacing.

Let us know if you need help with any of this ....
  • edited March 2008
    I noticed this before a STOP error happens, my AVG crashes, and when I open Firefox and go to google, it'll freeze and BAM! STOP error. But it didn't happen this morning, everything is fine.

I've put my CPU and RAM through a stress test to see if any of them was the problem. (Overclocked to 3.0GHz for CPU and 900MHz for RAM) it lasted about 5.5 hours until it failed.

I'm sorry, but I also forgot to mention POST codes which my motherboard has, everytime there is a system failiure, it first gives a STOP error, then I reboot and I get stuck at a C1 POST code, and my motherboard gives me an infinite series of beeps, which at that point I have to power down my whole computer (even the PSU) for about 10-20 minutes, then I start it up and it's all fine.

I hoped all that can help you more with my situation.
    edited March 2008
    I'd start with checking your memory boards- reseat them. C1 and repeated long beeps usually indicate a memory error. I'd also run Memtest when done. Let us know how it goes.
  • edited March 2008
    Okay thanks, but how long do I run it for?
    edited March 2008
    There are 8 tests a pass- a pass or two ought to do it. Good time to take in a movie.
  • edited March 2008
    Okay, so I just came home from snowboarding, turned on my monitor and I'm greet by a STOP error, but this time... its a new one
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

STOP: 0x0000001A ( 0x00041284, 0x05906001, 0x00000B40, 0xC0883000 )

edited March 2008
    Hmm. Well 1a is a memory error. I'm not sure if it's a subsystem or direct error..Never had to diagnose one. I'd try your memory in another board to test...I can't really suggest much other than that as I'm a bit lost right now.

I stumbled on this thing. It might be relevant to your interests.
  • edited March 2008
    So I ran Memtest overnight (9hours) instead of writing stuff down I took a picture.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/871/dsc00253rw1.jpg
    edited March 2008
    xShrimp wrote:
    So I ran Memtest overnight (9hours) instead of writing stuff down I took a picture.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/871/dsc00253rw1.jpg

It looks like you have bad memory- try a couple of things first:

Memtest your boards one at a time. Memtest should take about 1/2 hour (looks like less for your system) per pass.

If one fails, you found the culprit. RMA it (them if is a matched kit) if you can. No matter what, you need to replace it.

If both fail- try a different slot and see if they fail the same there.

Hope we got it. Get back to us with the results-