Computer is shutting down automatically USB Help.

edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys/girls.....I seem to be having troubles with my computer automatically shutting down every time I plug my new "magicjack" into my USB port. Initially I dealt with the tech support that MJ has but it was useless. The trouble seems to be in my computer, and most likely with the USB Ports.

This is the errors that I am getting after I plug the MagicJack in and it shuts down to the blue screen for me.

It is giving me the error codes
"Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_equal"
Stop 0x000000D1 (0x0000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf6c2bof8) usbstor.sys- address f6c2bof8 base at f6c29000, datestamp 41107d6c

I should mention I tried a system restore but there are no dates that I had set prior to the troubles.
If anyone knows how I can either repair my USB troubles or my computer any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
-Todd

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    have you tried ALL usb ports? Sometimes front USB ports are undervolted. Try the rear ones.
  • edited March 2008
    have you tried ALL usb ports? Sometimes front USB ports are undervolted. Try the rear ones.

Yep I've tried all of the usb ports made no difference. I even tried buying a powered usb hub and it still made no difference.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Todd,

What exactly is happening? The PC BSOD's as soon as the device is plugged in? or the PC just goes "click" and shuts off?

Is this an OEM (Dell, HP, etc) or is it a PC that you built? If the latter, what is in the system?
  • edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Todd,

What exactly is happening? The PC BSOD's as soon as the device is plugged in? or the PC just goes "click" and shuts off?

Is this an OEM (Dell, HP, etc) or is it a PC that you built? If the latter, what is in the system?

Well initially the computer was automatically just shutting down and giving me no error codes. When I figured out how to stop it from shutting down in the advanced system tools it now goes to a blue screen with the error codes and forces me to restart it.

My system is an EMachines T3990..with windows xp.

Thanks for the help.
    edited March 2008
    Ok...so this Magicjack converts your phone to use the internet connection on your PC to make calls, if I am reading this right.

Do you have a USB Flash drive, does it work fine?

Does Magicjack have a driver disk that came with it? Did you install that first?
  • edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Ok...so this Magicjack converts your phone to use the internet connection on your PC to make calls, if I am reading this right.

Do you have a USB Flash drive, does it work fine?

Does Magicjack have a driver disk that came with it? Did you install that first?
    Yep that is basically what Magicjack does, it is a plug and play into the usb port that is suppose to download the necesary settings and whatever needed on its own when you plug it in to your usb port.

I dont have a flash drive, however I do use wireless mouse/keyboard combo that I plug into the usb ports and it works fine.

Magicjack doesnt come with a driver disk, that is part of the process that it goes through when you plug it in. It somehow creates a "fake" cd where it downloads the necesary drivers and what not from its website.

Also to note, the Magicjack works on other computers without problem.
    edited March 2008
    Right click "My Computer" > Choose Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.

Anything showing with a Yellow ! point?

Click the "+" sign next to "Universal Serial Bus controllers" so that it expands.

Post a screenshot of that, please.
  • edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Right click "My Computer" > Choose Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.

Anything showing with a Yellow ! point?

Click the "+" sign next to "Universal Serial Bus controllers" so that it expands.

Post a screenshot of that, please.

Nope nothing with the yellow! next to it. Here is the screen shot for it.
    edited March 2008
    Ok...hmmm how about posting the Mainboard tab of CPU-z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) as well as the CPU and Memory tabs (you can open it 3 times and group all the Windows together so as to only take 1 screenshot.
  • edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Ok...hmmm how about posting the Mainboard tab of CPU-z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) as well as the CPU and Memory tabs (you can open it 3 times and group all the Windows together so as to only take 1 screenshot.
    ok here is the screenshot with the mainboard, cpu, and memory tabs on it.
    Thanks,

-Todd
    edited March 2008
    My guess is going to be this:

The chipset is too old and there is something "missing" from the USB controller that the Magicjack needs. The other PC's that it works fine on, are they all quite a bit newer?

Have you looked at the E-machines site to see if there is a bios update for this model?

Have you tried updating the chipset drivers from Intel?

This link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download.aspx?url=/14528/a08/infinst_autol.exe&agr=N&ProductID=1049&DwnldId=14528&strOSs=45&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Home%20Edition&lang=eng
  • edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    My guess is going to be this:

The chipset is too old and there is something "missing" from the USB controller that the Magicjack needs. The other PC's that it works fine on, are they all quite a bit newer?

Have you looked at the E-machines site to see if there is a bios update for this model?

Have you tried updating the chipset drivers from Intel?

This link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download.aspx?url=/14528/a08/infinst_autol.exe&agr=N&ProductID=1049&DwnldId=14528&strOSs=45&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Home%20Edition&lang=eng
    The other computers that I tried it on are aprox the same in terms of newness..about 4 years old give or take a little. I will download the chipset drivers from intel and look to see if there are any bios updates and then post again.

Thanks,
    -Todd
  • edited March 2008
    dotloop wrote:
    The other computers that I tried it on are aprox the same in terms of newness..about 4 years old give or take a little. I will download the chipset drivers from intel and look to see if there are any bios updates and then post again.

Thanks,
    -Todd
    Okay I did the new chipset download that you gave a link for, I also talked to emachines tech support and they gave me a link http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socket478/D865GVHZ_downloads.shtml
    for a bios upgrade, for some reason i cant seem to get that to take and it said update not accepted.

I tried the magicjack at this point and it still didnt work. Not sure what to do from here.
    edited March 2008
    Todd,

Can you get a Device manager screenshot from a PC that it does work in, while it is plugged in? Same as we did above with the USB section "expanded". Also make sure to get all of device manager in the shot if you can (you can drag and expand the size of the window) so I can see if there are any other devices being "added" to the list.

Thanks
  • edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Todd,

Can you get a Device manager screenshot from a PC that it does work in, while it is plugged in? Same as we did above with the USB section "expanded". Also make sure to get all of device manager in the shot if you can (you can drag and expand the size of the window) so I can see if there are any other devices being "added" to the list.

Thanks
    Here is the screen shot on the computer that it works on, while its plugged in. Thanks for the help.
    -Todd
    edited March 2008
    That is a little hard to read but I managed :)

What category does the Magicjack fall under? Network device? Can you see it under any other categoy besides the USB section? I am assuming it is the Tigerjet composite device we are seeing there.

I am really at a loss here, unless you can get the bios updated, that just may help.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    Dang- it almost looks like something I see when I need to run a motherboard install CD. Good suggestion, Ryder.