Problems, can't reformat

edited March 2008 in Hardware
OK

so originally I had an issue of \windows\sytem32\config\system not being found on boot.

I tried many different methods to get it to work with no avail, so I decided to just reformat everything. I have a raid 0 setup. Everything was working fine until I switched the RAID 0 off in attempts to try and get something to work. When I tried to set it back up I get ERROR and its not being recognized in the bios.

I tried to use dariks boot and nuke to wipe it but I get errors when using that!

Memtest brings up like 10 errors, I dont know how that happened since everything was working 30 mins ago now its not.

ALL i want to do is reformat this crap and install a fresh windows. When I try to boot from the windows CD to reinstall the OS i get the blue screen of death.

please help

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    If memtest is giving you errors, then either the RAM or MoBo is bad. If you have more than one stick of RAM, try running memtest on each stick to see which one(s) are having trouble.
  • edited March 2008
    CB Droege wrote:
    If memtest is giving you errors, then either the RAM or MoBo is bad. If you have more than one stick of RAM, try running memtest on each stick to see which one(s) are having trouble.

I figured out why I couldn't reformat, it was due to a bad SATA cable, replaced that and I got my raid 0 reformed and everything is fine with that.

Still when putting in the windows XP cd, it loads all the random files then right at the end BSOD.

I'll try memtest on individual ram, I have 2 512 sticks.

I also have some old ram, should i try that before memtest? Is there a chance the mobo can ruin the ram if its a bad mobo?

edit: how long does a typical full memtest take?

thanks
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    Memtest takes infinity. It's like Dio Brando when it comes to time. It takes everything you give it. One pass; depending on your board, chip and memory will take about an hour. The more passes you let it have (Times it goes from 1 to done) the more through the test. Test five and test eight in the program will often find memory faults fast. If you're getting errors in your memory, try known memory and see if you still get them. If you still get errors, your memory may not be bad.

On a bit of a personal note. Why are you running raid zero?
  • edited March 2008
    Memtest takes infinity. It's like Dio Brando when it comes to time. It takes everything you give it. One pass; depending on your board, chip and memory will take about an hour. The more passes you let it have (Times it goes from 1 to done) the more through the test. Test five and test eight in the program will often find memory faults fast. If you're getting errors in your memory, try known memory and see if you still get them. If you still get errors, your memory may not be bad.

On a bit of a personal note. Why are you running raid zero?

because i only have 1gb of ram and it helps compensate for certain applications i use

Still waiting until tomorrow to do a thorough memtest, will update
  • edited March 2008
    Turns out the RAM was bad, put some new sticks in the mobo and everything worked fine.

Contacted Corsair hopefully I can get an RMA but the ram is a few years old

thanks all
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    There is nothing wrong with Raid 0.

I'm not even sure you can find RAM w/o a lifetime warranty on it so you should be ok on getting a RMA for it.