Overclocking my AMD 4000+ X2

Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
edited March 2008 in Hardware
Here is a quick synopsis. I had the thing overclocked from 2.1 to 2.84Ghz but it got a calculation error so I dropped it down to 2.78 or so. I had to down my ram to 667 but after the OC it is running at just under 800Mhz total which is where it should run to start with. I have the CPU voltage up like .012 or something like that, can't remember but I will make sure to check on that.

It ran OCCT for 30 minutes and passed. It ran a super pi program for 30 minutes and had no problems. Only question is, is it too hot? After the pi program for 30 mintues it got up to 58 Celcius which was the highest I've ever seen it. Normally under full load it will stay around 54-55. Again, that was 100 percent load for half an hour. Is that bad or too hot? I think idle it runs in the mid 30's and high usage, not max though, it runs mid to upper 40's and into lower 50's depending on how much you push it.

Does that sound bad? I might be able to lower the voltage and see if it runs cooler and stable if I have to. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    Nickboxer7 wrote:
    Here is a quick synopsis. I had the thing overclocked from 2.1 to 2.84Ghz but it got a calculation error so I dropped it down to 2.78 or so. I had to down my ram to 667 but after the OC it is running at just under 800Mhz total which is where it should run to start with. I have the CPU voltage up like .012 or something like that, can't remember but I will make sure to check on that.

It ran OCCT for 30 minutes and passed. It ran a super pi program for 30 minutes and had no problems. Only question is, is it too hot? After the pi program for 30 mintues it got up to 58 Celcius which was the highest I've ever seen it. Normally under full load it will stay around 54-55. Again, that was 100 percent load for half an hour. Is that bad or too hot? I think idle it runs in the mid 30's and high usage, not max though, it runs mid to upper 40's and into lower 50's depending on how much you push it.

Does that sound bad? I might be able to lower the voltage and see if it runs cooler and stable if I have to. What do you guys think?

A little update. I bumped the voltage down to stock and just ran Orthos for an hour on the Gromacs core and max temp was 55. I think it only hit those once or twice though, the majority being 53-54. AMD says max temp for this proc is 55-72°C, so I am right in range I guess. I'm not so worried about it now and I might actually see if I can bump it up a tad more on stock voltage and see what heat does with that.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Looks like a pretty good OC to me Nick. Not sure if you are using a stock cooler or not but if you can get a better heatsink that could help drop your temps some. Were you able to get it any higher than 2.84? Or did you just back off of there because of the high temps you were getting?
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    Looks like a pretty good OC to me Nick. Not sure if you are using a stock cooler or not but if you can get a better heatsink that could help drop your temps some. Were you able to get it any higher than 2.84? Or did you just back off of there because of the high temps you were getting?

I am using an aftermarket, but it couldn't hurt to switch from AS3 to AS5 and apply it a little better. It wouldn't boot past 2.84. I think it was my ram that was crapping out at that point, plus at 2.84 I got a calculation error so I backed it down. I put it back up to run the test again and see what exactly the error was. Then i might back it down a little at a time just to see the max I can get on the stock voltage and keeping heat down.