problems with USB/Firewire Combo Card

edited March 2008 in Hardware
I picked up a USB/Firewire Combo Card (PCMCIA) and am having a whale of a time to get it to work. Win XP Pro SP2 chimes when I insert it into my laptop, but that seems as far as it goes - since when I plug a firewire or USB device into the card (like an ipod or a USB flash drive) nothing is recognized. It came with a driver CD and I believe I loaded the drivers properly, but not 100% sure since the CD has about 20 different folders on it. This unit came from Taiwan - I know I know - that's probably not a good idea, but the unit is all over the web and being sold in hundreds of online shops so it may be a legit unit. I know my PCMCIA slot is fine since I can insert a single firewire port card into it and it works great. Any suggestions?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Most of those cards you need to install the drivers first, before you put the card in. So if you did it the other way uninstall the drivers and try again. Also it's very possible you may have used the wrong drivers. I've had similar devices before with about a dozen folders of drivers for specific os's or even multiple folders for different devices all bundled on one cd.
  • edited March 2008
    uninstalling drivers would assume that I'm sure I can identify the card in the device manager - but I'm not entirely sure I can. I get an "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" when I insert the card, but I also get that same thing when I insert my known working firewire card. Wouldn't there be a separate listing for it? I see the USB item in the hardware mgr, and I have uninstalled that but the CD i have doesnt actually seem to include any USB drivers specifically for the this unit.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Not necessarily it the card is likely just identifying itself as a generic IEEE 1394 adapter. So it sounds like windows is detecting the card correctly and setting it up. I wonder, maybe if it's just not a bad card perhaps.

Do you have any make/model for the card that you can provide?