No internet? OMG

edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hi my computer has been able to access the internet for the last year and now suddenly it cannot connect. It is wirelessly connected to the network. Even though the computer is connected and i can access files on other computers i cannot go on the internet. It says the page cannot be found. I am using Avast and all firewalls are disabled

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    Dig up the last bill you had from your ISP or your service plan and call the support number. It could simply be that internet service is out in your area.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Can the other computers get to the internet? Did you try going to a different page. Did you try rebooting the router, your computer, the modem? Can you ping sites like www.google.com to see if they resolve?
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Something I see on occasion is cached pages in the browser. Depending on your browser of choice, there should be an option under a Tools menu to clear cached data/cookies/temp files/etc. Quick and painless, so it's usually worth the 10 seconds to try it out.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    The reason I mention contacting the ISP is because I know that at least Cox is doing overhauls of their infrastructure across their system. This has become a complaint that has increased dramatically where I am and if you're not paying attention to the e-mails and phone calls from Cox, this could be the issue. Of course, by now, service could already be back on for laptopbox.