OS load failure.

vertmanvertman Manchester, UK.
edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hello,
When I came downstairs this morning and turned on the computer, I was greeted by an "OS LOAD FAILURE" message. I went in to the BIOS and changed boot device to CD, put in the windows CD and now I am getting "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" even when I change the first boot device to Hard Drive.

Basically windows wont load and neither will the CD.

Also whilst i'm here, my system is running in fail-safe mode and I don't know how to disable it, i've disabled it in the bios but I still have to press f1 every time I boot up.

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    how old is the machine? could the CMOS batt be dead?

When you set the bios to boot first from CD, press f10 to save your settings, and exit out of the bios, does it say 'press any key to boot from CD...'?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    If your machine is running in failsafe mode, as in the bios failsafe mode that's a good indicator that you don't have something setup correctly with your CPU timing information. Either your CPU doesn't like it or your Ram doesn't.
  • vertmanvertman Manchester, UK.
    edited March 2008
    how old is the machine? could the CMOS batt be dead?

When you set the bios to boot first from CD, press f10 to save your settings, and exit out of the bios, does it say 'press any key to boot from CD...'?

I don't know what CMOS is... i'll show bothered this thread when he gets home he will probably know. I don't think the machine is too old.
    kryyst wrote:
    If your machine is running in failsafe mode, as in the bios failsafe mode that's a good indicator that you don't have something setup correctly with your CPU timing information. Either your CPU doesn't like it or your Ram doesn't.

It's been running in failsafe mode for weeks, it started just a while after I formatted. (About 2 weeks after)

- EDIT -

Bothered got home and had a look and noticed that the bios wasn't seeing any of the drives. He went through the BIOS and made it look for them. It found them and now I am posting from my own computer. It seems this is only a temporary fix and we don't know if it is the battery or something else.

We have also updated the BIOS.