Custom Desktop

edited March 2008 in Science & Tech
So...I'm looking to customize the ole desktop....do we have any guides around here or does anyone know of good ones? Thanks a lot

Comments

• redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited March 2008
    cambrose wrote:
    So...I'm looking to customize the ole desktop....do we have any guides around here or does anyone know of good ones? Thanks a lot

Isn't there a 12 step program for WoW refugees?
  • edited March 2008
    TF2 is working well. The next step is apparently COD4...

But for real...I want a sweet desktop...
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    redchief wrote:
    Isn't there a 12 step program for WoW refugees?

Hahaha xD If you find it, give me a call :tongue:
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Customize.... how, exactly?
  • edited March 2008
    Just something different from the standard xp fare....different menu bars...icons, something that makes my pc unique. Also, I've seen a prog taht puts a bunch of stats in the upper right corner (PC temp, winamp song playing, date time) but it's not a widget/gadget, anyone know what it's called?

Example of what I want: My pc used to look like it was running vista ultimate...icons, start menu, the whole shabang, it was kinda cool.
    edited March 2008
    Ohh, you want to 1337ify it. Well... that's kind of goofy, but I used to do it too, so I can't get on your case too much. There are programs called StyleXP (which I considered the best back then) and Windowblinds that will skin your windows and start bar and whatnot; extra widgets and junk you just have to look around and find for yourself. DeviantArt and the StyleXP theme site has a lot of extra ideas for you; I got exposed to stuff like AquaDock because I saw it in one of the themes on StyleXP and the guy that posted it was kind enough to link to the stuff besides his theme that he was using. Those're really your best bet unless somebody here is still into that scene.
  • edited March 2008
    I'll go there. I'm not a huge fan of stylexp and objectdock due to the ram usage of them...I'll have to hunt around and see what their is to do. All my old stuff was actual mods within the registry.
    edited March 2008
    NeoTheme comes with a patcher for your current windows theme manager- this lets you use almost any visual style and it's easy to use. I reccomend www.deviantart.com for themes 'n stuff.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I second what Harudath said. I've done the same.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Object dock is a pig. If you want the functionality I'd recommend Rocket dock it's much leaner and I find it works better.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited March 2008
    I've used Windows Blinds before now.. This was a long time ago so not sure how good/bad it is but might be worth a try?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I'm using yzdock on both my computers and am enjoying it immensely :) I also use TweakUI (now an MS product, still free) for minor tweaks.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    keebs, you should check out rocket dock. Yz dock is old and not updated. I was using it for quite a while and I simply got tired of it.
    edited March 2008
    Rocketdock > all. Especially for our multi-monitor brethren.
    edited March 2008
    Why is it better for multimon setups, Nights?
    edited March 2008
    I can plop it on monitor 2 without any huge tweaks - it gives the option right in the setup. No hassles whatsoever.

Granted, most people might not have the same problems as I did. When I used Y'z Dock behind games it would have a tendency to launch programs as I was clicking around in whatever I was playing. Moving it to the second monitor was next to impossible, and I just gave up.

Found rocketdock, it gave me the option, and I've been married for over a year now.
    edited March 2008
    Heey der mon' brudda :tongue: