My computer keeps shutting off.

edited March 2008 in Hardware
My computer keeps randomly shutting off. It gives no warning. It just shuts off. It doesn't reboot after that either. Even when I try to turn it back on, it sometimes won't turn on right away. I have to wait a few minutes before I can turn it back on.

I don't think this has to do with it heating up or being filled with dust. It's clean and its fan(s) work fine. Plus, it's never that hot.

I believe I have some kind of virus. I've tried to run virus scans and such, but my computer just keeps shutting off. It hasn't shut off for about an hour, which is odd. Awhile ago it was shutting off every few minutes.

Internet Explorer doesn't work on my computer. I think it's what's infected. It doesn't respond. It won't load all of the way and it just freezes. I've been using Motzilla Firefox in order to access sites.

I've noticed that my computer has a tendency to shut off more when I'm watching videos or playing games.

Can anyone help? Are there any free virus scans out there that actually work? What should I install to keep my computer virus free? Any replies are appreciated.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You probably have a dead or dying power supply. Viruses can not affect how your computer powers on.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    I think you have a few things wrong. You likely have a dying power supply as Thrax mentioned. In addition I think your system is likely messed up from constant and incomplete reboots. You probably have a level of file corruption there and will have to do a repair install to fix it.

Plus you may have a virus, but it wouldn't cause this exact issue you are talking about.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Have you added any new hardware/software/been on any dodgy websites recently?
  • edited March 2008
    I've solved the problem. My computer's not shutting off anymore though.