New Tablet

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
I got my tablet this afternoon.

It's a gateway C-141xl. It has the new penryn chip in it. I have to say, amazing. I am loving it so far. The pen input is amazing. I can't wait to get photoshop and illustrator on it.

The build quality feels great, screen is plenty big (14"), and the processor seems plenty powerful, and the 3gb of ram is more than plentiful. My only grip is that the battery has a hump on the bottom that makes the tablet sit at an angle while typing. This could be seen as a nice thing because it puts the keyboard at an angle im used to at the desktop, and it also provides an excellent grip point while I cradle it in my arms. But it could also be seen as an annoyance.

All in all I'm very pleased with my $1600. The only thing I wish it had was an integrated webcam.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    A bit ugly but interesting as I want a new laptop or tablet. Hows the heat? Does it get hot?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    No, not really. and I think it is pretty, but I'm not a fan of what most people call pretty. I like the corporate productivity inspired styling similar to that of lenovo laptops. Absolutely beautiful. The hp's and dell's are ugly in my opinion. Too shiny and fru fru looking for me. Makes me feel like I'm working on a toy rather than a tool
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Heat shouldn't be an issue with that CPU. How's the battery life?
    edited March 2008
    I'm at 88% with the brightness about two thirds of the way up and the wifi on and it says I have 4 hours and 53 minutes left. I'll report back with some actual numbers in a week or two after I use it day in and day out.
  • swithdrawnswithdrawn Savannah, GA
    edited March 2008
    How's the video on it? My only gripe is that, coming from a 1400x1050 12" Toshiba screen, the resolution on the gateway is way too low. If it was SXGA+, it would be perfect...
    edited April 2008
    It's not an issue for me, for the size I thought the resolution was acceptable. I'm very happy with it. The only thin I would change would be to have a bi-directional hinge.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Sounds awesome. Have you tried PS/Illustrator on it yet? Got any pics you can post of it?
    edited April 2008
    I've ran illustrator on it but I've never used/learned illustrator. most of my work was in Ps and indesign. for some reason ps always comes up with an error when I open it so I'm gonna have to uninstall and reinstall it to try and fix it.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    How about gaming? I know it's no gaming laptop but I am curious how it would handle some games at least. Like TF2 and WOW for example
    edited April 2008
    I'm not really sure. I'm sure it would do fairly well. The vid card isn't too shabby and the processor is pretty good. and 3 gigs of ram should be good. I'm not really a gamer in the least, but I may put one on there and see how it handles it.