WMP54G Wireless card

LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
edited April 2008 in Hardware
hey! I am running centOS 5and I am having a little bit of trouble

I got the source files and ndiswrapper and I just can't get it to work. I have updated my kernals (I am pretty sure I didnt **** it up) and a bunch of other stuff but right when I use the command "make install" it gives me the error

Makefile:35: *** Cannot find kernel version in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-8.el5-i686, is it configured?. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mikey/ndiswrapper-1.52/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I even went into /boot/grub/grub.conf and changed default=0. I don't know what else to do, can anyone help me with step by step instuctions? I posted this here cause I need it working by 11 AM EST

Comments

• LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited March 2008
    alright, I still would like to know whenever cause it still isn't working :(
    edited March 2008
    *tumbleweed*
    hrmm, I guess you can move it out of emergency now

I have googled til my eyes bleed, no help
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Have you asked your brother? He knows more about linux than most here.
  • wthwwwthww Terre Haute, Indiana
    edited March 2008
    Hi! A quick suggestion. you should install "kernel-devel", ie, "yum install kernel-devel" as root, and try this again. Also, if you are going to go through all the trouble of installign the ndiswrapper kernel module, you might as well install the native linux driver for the chipset in that. As far as I can see, it has a ralink chipset, so it shouldn't be hard. PM, or find me in Icrontic IRC if you have any questions :)
    edited April 2008
    Have you asked your brother? He knows more about linux than most here.

he is workin two jobs and has weird hours. he wakes up at 11:30pm. he is hard to track down much less actually have him work on a computer
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Did you find the particular chipset your WMP54G uses? If you are trying to pull the kernel from a driver that supports a different broadcom chipset, you'll have an error. Also, it only works in 32-bit versions of the Linux kernel.

lspci -v should show your PCI devices, should have the numbered broadcom chipset listed. From this you can pull an XP driver specific for your chipset down from the web and extract the kernel.

Are you using bcmfwcutter or whatever it's called to extract the kernel or is there a different method these days? My last experience with this stuff is over a year old at this point, so I could be way off base.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2008
    Are you sure your using the right kernel build, it can't just be close it has to be the exact one.
    edited April 2008
    I am using the RALink source files as ndiswrapper told me to do. now I am getting this:

*** WARNING: This kernel seems to use 4K stack size option (CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS option, recompile and install kernel

how do I change that?