How to pack a computer for a plane

rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
edited March 2008 in Community
I've never actually brought my rig on a plane before. Any good suggestions on how to properly pack it so none of my components get damaged. Will I have to remove the internal hardware of my rig and pack separately? I have a antec-p180b and its huge. What about packing a monitor?

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Man, just pull a Cyclonite. Build a rig for the specific purpose of carrying it onto a plane.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Remove the HSF from the CPU.

I would remove the ram and the HDD's (don't bring your big data drive, unless all the games are on it, I would just bring the OS/game drive/drives) and put them in amongst your clothes in a suitcase.

If you have some foam you can put inside the case, its a good idea.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You should probably consider trying to borrow a monitor, rather than trying to bring one on a plane trip.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    StainMeNow wrote:
    Man, just pull a Cyclonite. Build a rig for the specific purpose of carrying it onto a plane.

Hah. I didn't think anybody noticed. I won't be bringing it this year. I have a laptop that should support the minimal gaming I may do.

But it's definitely worth looking into a MicroATX setup. It worked out pretty well, and I was only stopped in security twice. They ran their little bomb-sniffer thingamajig over it and let me go.

//Edit: as a side note, Firefox doesn't think "thingamajig" is a misspelled word.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Build all of the components into a hunting vest.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Build a suitcase PC that also holds clothing.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    get an extra seat on the plane for you pc...put it in middle seat, NO SITTIN NEXT TO FAT GUY/SMELLING GUY problem solved!