Wireless card disappeared

MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
Well, I used the wireless on my HP dv9000nr laptop before work this morning and now when I get home, it's gone from device manager. I've tried rebooting and shutting down to no avail. I removed the card (built in) and reinstalled and still nothing.

Any recommendations on a good inexpensive usb 802.11g adaptor?

//edit: I think I'm going to Best Buy to get this one.

Linksys WUSB54GC

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    The new laptops have a switch...most likely on the outside of the laptop left side, front, or right. See if it got turned off.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    The new laptops have a switch...most likely on the outside of the laptop left side, front, or right. See if it got turned off.
    I already tried that. I don't think even with the switch off, the device disappears from device manager. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think this POS is dying one component at a time. ;)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited March 2008
    I picked up the WUSB54GC Linksys adapter I linked to in the first post (except I bought it at Walmart - same price). It's working, but only showing a 1 Mbps connection.....which frankly sucks. I'll play around with it some, but I'm not sure how to make it any faster. Shows 81% signal strength.

//edit: showing 36 Mbps now (I didn't change anything).
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited April 2008
    I had a laptop here in the office that had the same thing happen. Turns out the internal card just died after 2-3 years of service. Replacement from Dell under warranty worked fine.