bad reception wireless network

edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hy there,

I recently did expend an existing network with 2 laptops, through a wireless connection. But offen, the wireless connection fales. The configuration is as follows:
In the network, I connected a router D-Link, model n° DIR-635. I connected a desktop (windows xp) on it by utp-cable. So far, so good, no problems there what's so ever.;)
From the D-Link, I go to another D-Link router(same model) on the second floor by utp-cable. From there, 2 laptops (windows vista) have to connect to the LAN, and thus to the internet. But these wireless connections drop out regulary. At first I thought is was because the first router was at another floor. But mounting the second router did not help. :confused: The distance between the second router and the laptops is not more than 6 meters.
Can you help me fix this problem please?
Thanks!:wink:

Comments

• beatzbeatz i am a hamburger Member
    edited March 2008
    Some questions: Do both routers have wifi enabled? Do they use the same name for the wifi network? Do they use the same channel?
  • edited March 2008
    beatz wrote:
    Some questions: Do both routers have wifi enabled? Do they use the same name for the wifi network? Do they use the same channel?

Yes Beatz,

on both routers wireless is "enabled", they both use the same name for the network and the "auto channel scan" is enabled.

Thanks for your reply.
    edited March 2008
    No problem ;) .

Same SSID is good, so you can roam between the two wireless networks, but you should make sure that the routers use different channels ( a gap of four channels would be good) to avoid signal interference.

The problem could be your IP adress configuration. DHCP should only be enabled at the first router. Also, you need to set a static IP adress for the second router which is not in the range of dhcp adresses assigned by the first router.
  • edited April 2008
    Back from being away :-))
    Sorry I do reply only now, but it seems that my problem is solved. Changing the channels did the tric.
    Thanks for the help.
    Ghigra
    edited April 2008
    Nice, good to hear that it worked out.