Creative Goes After Driver Modder

erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native TexanHouston,Texas Member
edited March 2008 in Internet & Media
Article by slashdot

"Since the release of Windows Vista, Creative has promised their Sound Cards as being 'Vista Ready'. Unfortunately, as many unlucky customers did discover, this is not true. What the users actually found were buggy, feature crippled drivers. Creative insisted that features such as Decoding of Dolby® Digital and DTS(TM) signals and DVD-Audio which worked fine in WinXP, would not work on windows Vista. With Creative releasing less than one new driver a year, things seemed bleak. Fortunately, a talented user, Daniel_K, was recently able to 'fix' many of the drivers, enabling the incompatible features and also fixing many bugs. Just today Creative has decided to put a stop to this. They removed all links to his modified drivers, and banned several users who were posting links to the now banned drivers."
Just one word unbelievable. Their just upset because he made progress on the drivers and they didn't.

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Creative... Slime...

The good thing is that MANY voices in their forums have spoken up, unfortunately there has been much censorship there as well...
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Article by slashdot

Just one word unbelievable. Their just upset because he made progress on the drivers and they didn't.

They could have done what he did, they just don't want to. :grumble:

They would prefer to create a new card an market it as designed for Vista.:shakehead aka more $$$$.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    This is really unfortunate. One of the biggest reasons why I haven't "upgraded" to vista - despite having a free license from my college's MSDN - is that I use an Audigy 2 ZS. That card still has most of the top technology in audio processing. However, Creative in their normal driver failure, have completely abandoned the product since like 2005. So there are NO Vista drivers for it. When I ran Vista RC2, my sound was crippled. I'm an audiophile, so that was the biggest reason for me going back to XP. Now I need to buy a new soundcard - despite my current card being perfectly fine - to get any kind of driver support. I was thinking about picking up a new Creative card, but this has pretty much done that decision in for me. Very disappointing. Creative is going to learn a harsh lesson about the internet very very soon.