Buying 2900 Pro, what psu?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hi, i now have the money to but a ATI 2900 Pro, and my psu is pretty rubbish and also doesnt have a 6 pin connector for it. what psu would be best, i dont need an amazing thing, just somthing that would run it and be safe.

would this be any good?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124926/show_product_reviews
Also are 2900Pro's good, ive heard they're great and with a bit of ocing they can be as good as the 2900XT.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    Uh, go for a 3800 instead. Far less power consumption. The x2--- series wasn't all that good.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    uh get a 9600GT

PSU i recommend fortron source
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    The 9600 GT should run you about $130-150, is at least 30% faster, and uses significantly less power. I suggest a Corsair power supply from their "VX" series of PSUs. Don't get less than 450w, and buy whatever fits your budget.
  • edited March 2008
    I would also recommend going with the Nvidia 9600GT video card. It performs very close to the 8800GT in performance and should wax the ATI 2900 Pro, and draws much less power than the 2900 Pro. It's more expensive than the 2900 Pro though and you didn't say how tight your budget is. For a PSU, I would go with the Corsair VX450 myself. Again, it's a bit more expensive than the one you linked to but I know that the VX450 should have no problems powering your system and it is made for Corsair by Seasonic and uses quality Japanese capacitors inside. I have one powering a Q6600 system with an 8800 GTS512 in it with the proc overclocked to 3510.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited March 2008
    Well, I think ill go for the VX450 then but as for the 2900 Pro, ive heard that it can be overclocked to around the same as the 2900XT and the 2900XT is only just shy of the 8800GTX. is the 9600GT really better?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    I didnt see a direct comparison but you can kinda see how much better the 9600 is compared to a 2900

8800GT vs 2900XT
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=10

3870 vs 3850 vs 2900XT
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=7

3870 to 9600
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3234&p=3
    edited March 2008
    Hmm, so the 9600gt looks the best way to go. it just i never really have money so i just want to get the best bang for my buck... is it really the best out there?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    revorocks wrote:
    Hmm, so the 9600gt ... i just want to get the best bang for my buck... is it really the best out there?

If you're talking bang-for-the-buck on the retail market, yes ... and I'm an ATI fan and I like the 3870 better.

The 3870 is a slightly better performer,
    The 3870 uses slightly less power,
    The 3870 will likely do Folding@Home
    I like to keep ATI in the fight with nVidia
    Reference

But, if money is real tight and you are not a Folding fanatic, the 3870 is not quite worth the approximately $30-50 extra. Also, you may burn-up the difference in price in power bills by OCing a 2000 series board.
    edited April 2008
    Hmmm, well ive ordered the psu, but i think i will wait prehaps another month for prehaps more money and maybe some price drops... but it looks like ill be getting the 9600GT, thanks.
  • edited April 2008
    That's a good idea on waiting a month on the 9600GT. It won't be quite so new then and stocks of them should be better, easing pricing pressure. :thumbsup:
    edited April 2008
    Yea, thats what i was hoping. then prehaps i will have some money left to buy some more stuff, im hoping to buy a thermaltake armour lcs with a vga water block.
    edited April 2008
    =0 ohh dear major blow in money now. now im having problems with my