i need help

edited April 2008 in Hardware
just recently i bought a custom built computer from systemax that came with a 80GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive. I pulled the other hd out of my old computer that died which i had to replace and it is a 160gb seagate barracuda. i have a question because they both have different plugins and im assuming thats because one is a sata I and the other is a sata II but i dont know for sure. Im just wondering if its possible to have these 2 different hd types hooked up on the same machine to where they can be read at the same time.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    It'll work. Your SATA controller will identify them, and set their bandwidth appropriately.
  • edited March 2008
    well i put the slave cord in there and also a power cord - not one of the small ones like on the one that the computer originally came with- and it still doesnt read the hard drive at all.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    So; you're using two Sata hard drives right, not one SATA drive and one IDE drive?
  • edited March 2008
    what exactly is an IDE drive? my new hd has that one little connector cord thats small and thin. my old one used the slave cord and the other power cord. the bigger one. On hte old one the middle thing where the little connector goes on the new one looks like it takes a cord thats twice as thick. it has 2 rows of pegs if im not mistaken.
  • edited April 2008
    bump.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    sata.jpg

SATA is the top.
    IDE is the bottom.

You can buy adapters if you need one.