Radion x1650 xt overheating

edited April 2008 in Hardware
edit: whist typing this, all of a sudden all my fans are going crazy, they started blowing/sucking really hard, my heat levels are dropping but the rpms are:
Cooling Fans
CPU 5590 RPM
Chassis 2914 RPM

okay, well, i was browsing and saw that people had simular problems and youve helped the mout so i decided to psot my problem and maybe you could help me aswell, i bought a radion x16500 xt pci-e about 6 months ago, i pop it in and it works perfectly, about 2 weeks ago, the fan starts running really loud, i didnt think much of it till i started getting thermal warnings, and eventually i decided to get everest and found that it has been running at about 117 degrees c when im in a 3d aplication, otherwise it idles at about 85, right now its at 73 but when i try to run a game, eve online, or counterstrike source for example, it heats up really fast, and before too long my screen glitches and the computer either restarts or hangs, now, ive applied for an rma and was turned down because the place i bought it held it for over a year and my warenty is void, not to mention i dont have the recipt or box, anywase, i dled riva tuner and set the fan manually to 100, and i got the card down to about 73, but the fact that i have to manually tweak the fan meens theres someting wrong, also, even with the fan at 100 percent, if i run a 3d app, it goes straight to like, 100-117 degreese c, my comps specs are as follows:

hp pavilion:
amd 3500+ (2.9 ghz)
510 ddr sd ram
amd radion x1650 xt pci-e
earthwatts 500w powersupply

temps and voltages:
Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type SMSC DME1737/SCH5017 (SMBus 2Eh)
GPU Sensor Type National LM63 (ATI-I2C 4Ch)

Temperatures
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 36 °C (97 °F)
Aux 51 °C (124 °F)
GPU 70 °C (158 °F)
GPU Ambient 44 °C (111 °F)
Maxtor 6L200P0 39 °C (102 °F)
WDC WD1200JB-75EVA0 37 °C (99 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 5584 RPM
Chassis 2900 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.42 V
+3.3 V 3.27 V
+5 V 4.97 V
+12 V 12.19 V
VTR 3.35 V

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited April 2008
    Aside from reseating the cooler on the video card with some fresh thermal grease, I can't think of anything else shy of buying a new video card. Your system temps are not great, but they're well within reason and as good as mine with a much hotter running and more power hungry video card.

The high rpms on your CPU may be a result of a slightly (and overly) aggressive cooling profile by HP. Not much you can do about that. Maybe there's a bios setting... ?