Inspiron 700m Shuts off w/ new HD

edited April 2008 in Hardware
I have a Dell Inspiron 700m and I have bought a 160GB Samsung internal HD.ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
at the point where I have to partition the drive the first 3 times the computer shuts off then finally it when through but it shoes that the drive is 130GB not 160GB. I am positive that the drive is 160GB. What should I do to fix this problem?

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2008
    If I were to hazard a guess- the unit has a 127GB disk limit. This is not a disk problem, but a system limitation imposed by the BIOS.

You may try to update the BIOS with this.
  • edited April 2008
    yes you are right i ran EZ Drive and the problem is that ROM BIOS can not handle a 160 GB hard disk. i have the latest version of BIOS (ver. 7) already installed. so dose this mean that i have to return the drive and down grade to 120 GB hard disk???
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2008
    Not necessarily. You can try to divide it into two smaller partitions.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    Your hard drive actually IS 130GB.

The way hard drive manufactures determine the size of a hard drive is this:
    1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte.
    1000 kilobytes = 1 megabyte

and so on to Gigabytes. Except in the real world computers are binary so 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte.

So each GB that a HD is rated for is actually less than a real GB that is reported and useable by Windows/OSX/Linus/etc.
  • edited April 2008
    thank you Qeldroma first thread nailed the problem. Thank you all again for your help.