C-Media AC97 Audio Device cannot start

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hi, earlier i installed windows xp pro on my friends computer and have just finished all updates, progs etc and now i just cant get any sounds because a audio device isnt installed or not working. ive narrowed it down to this

C-madia AC97 Audio Device cannot start (Code 10)

what can i do to fix this, ive uninstalled and reinstalled it by following trouble shooter but no avail...

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2008
    It is likely a device driver issue.

I'm assuming this is audio integrated into the motherboard. If your friend has the orignal mobo install CD- that is a good place to start, but it is likely that the driver is dated and may not behave quite right. When done, the motherboard manufacturer will likely have their last stable update at their website and generally have updates for all the 3rd party chipsets and devices built into the board. If you have to, you can usually make your own mobo install CD from the downloads if the manufacturer doesn't already have an updated install CD image available.

Finally, you can generally get even newer driver updates from the chipset manufacturer- but be careful you get the right ones and, from personal experience, try to avoid ones that say "beta".