should i overclock more?

doomddoomd California
edited April 2008 in Hardware
hey guys i was wondering if i should clock more on a stock heatsink for my q6600 i overclocked it to 2.63 and its at 40C top. i do have a zalman 9700nt but i lost the lga755 part and is there any way to get the parts?

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2008
    Is that 40C under load? @ 3.0ghz, mine doesn't Idle that low.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    That is like is like 'should we have another beer?'
    If you have to ask you know the answer.
    YES
  • doomddoomd California
    edited April 2008
    yeah it does 40 and under but im not so sure how to overclock i have this tool that auto does it it has these %s and i can choose which one the highest is 20%
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    doomd:

What are you using to measure your temperatures? 40C under load is almost physically impossible with the stock cooler if ambient is ~21C ... which brings us to my next question:

What are you doing to produce a full load?

You'll have to contact Zalman for the 775 mounting kit for the 9700 or search ebay, tech forums, etc...

Now, the question of "should I overclock more"... It really depends what you use the machine for and what your other components are. Hell, if you don't game, fold, or render on that rig anything beyond stock may be pointless other than doing it just for the fun of it.

Also, I'm not sure what tool you're using to overclock, but I would highly recommend you become very familiar with your BIOS and do all of your adjustments there. Your geek self from the future will thank you.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    Your geek self from the future will thank you.

Mine does every day.