The Deadliest Sin...

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Fitness
In the bottle before you is a pill, a marvel of modern medicine that will regulate gene transcription throughout your body, helping prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, and 12 kinds of cancer — plus gallstones and diverticulitis. Expect the pill to improve your strength and balance as well as your blood lipid profile. Your bones will become stronger. You'll grow new capillaries in your heart, your skeletal muscles, and your brain, improving blood flow and the delivery of oxygen and nutrients. Your attention span will increase. If you have arthritis, your symptoms will improve. The pill will help you regulate your appetite and you'll probably find you prefer healthier foods. You'll feel better, younger even, and you will test younger according to a variety of physiologic measures. Your blood volume will increase, and you'll burn fats better. Even your immune system will be stimulated. There is just one catch.

There's no such pill. The prescription is exercise.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2004/03/the-deadliest-sin.html

Zanthian summed it up by saying "Exercise is good."

The article is very long, but fascinating.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    It is completely true. Once a week I do a morning gym session (as opposed to the evening) and I get so much more work done in the office.

And I definitely feel happier and more confident, having gone from being someone who had a gym membership that never got used, just 12 months ago, to now being someone who had a 'bad gym going week' this week, cos I only went 3 times!